First Time Coop Build

Getting there slowly. We've made it liveable for the girls for tonight but still plenty to do. They've had fun free ranging in my veggie patch, the sprouts and tomato plants were a particular favourite!

The girls were sure so we had to herd them in at bedtime and bless them they've all snuggled in one corner, nowhere near the roosts.

Love the Omlet auto door so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20220612_173847893.jpg
    PXL_20220612_173847893.jpg
    895.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220612_153817997.jpg
    PXL_20220612_153817997.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220612_190514657.jpg
    PXL_20220612_190514657.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 3
Tonight three of them were in before the door closed but the ISA decided to hang around so we ushered her in.
They were exploring for awhile trying out the perches. The Bason White and Barred Rock snuggled up on one and the other two on another which is better than the corner they were all crammed upto last night!

All the girls made it in tonight we'll before door closed, they were all perched on one of the roosts and seemed happy.

The nesting boxes are blocked off as the doors to the boxes aren't complete but the girls are 18 weeks and so I think we have a few weeks before they will be laying. Should we keep them blocked off until we find an egg?

The rainwater collection and distribution system is noe setup, ironically just in temp for a heatwave! So we have part filled this for now and their normal waterer will still be available. We are aware we will have frozen pipes during the winter on some days but I'm not sure of a way round this.

Attachments

• PXL_20220614_201738003.jpg
    PXL_20220614_201738003.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220614_201713387.jpg
    PXL_20220614_201713387.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220614_201646979.jpg
    PXL_20220614_201646979.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 5
The nesting boxes are blocked off as the doors to the boxes aren't complete but the girls are 18 weeks and so I think we have a few weeks before they will be laying. Should we keep them blocked off until we find an egg?
I'd have them open now, with a fake egg in all but one, so they can learn not to sleep in them before eggs come.

Might have to drain it during winter (so it doesn't freeze & rupture) and offer water in a heated waterer or bowl instead.
Yes this is our worry but just said to hubby you did install the tap so we can switch if off when it's freezing, right? His blank expression tells me he forgot 😂 so we will be draining this and adding it!

All the girls made it in tonight we'll before door closed, they were all perched on one of the roosts and seemed happy.

I've had several lay their first egg by 18 weeks (a few by 16 weeks) so that first egg could show up at any time. How many times have they put themselves to bed on that roost? Not that there is a set number than gives any guarantees, more out of curiosity. It might take a few times for them to actually get in that habit instead of sleeping in the nests, but you'll never know that they have changed their habit until you open the nests and give them the option. If it hasn't done the trick yet then start over.

I want the nests open as soon as you can. Some pullets seem to not have a clue that the first egg is coming. They may drop it anywhere and anytime, maybe from the roost or just walking around. But many know it is coming and about a week before it shows up they start looking for a good nest. Pullets scratching in a nest during the day is a good sign that it may not be that much longer before you see an egg. If you find the fake egg and bedding on the coop floor it may be a sign you need to raise the lip on the nest to hold that stuff in better. Another reason you want the nests open earlier. I want the nests open when they start looking for a nest, not when you see that first egg.

But that is in a perfect world. In a perfect world they would have started on the roosts and not the nests. We do what we can. So I agree, open the nests and base your further actions on what happens.

They've slept on the roosts I think 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 4....I've forgotten how many nights they've been in it!

I'm going to open them up tomorrow and see how we go. My only concern is my husband who has been awesome the last few months has today decide to revert back to his old ways. I'm hoping tonight is a blip because he's having a bad work week but if the bad work week turns into a longer issue it's going to be a tough time again and I'm not sure if the coop will get finished.

I'm so upset right now, I got my hopes up and now the way he's been I just know what's coming next. I can't finish it myself he'll get annoyed. He's annoyed tonight I've sorted some green waste, he'd be really cross and down tools if I touch the coop. Thank goodness it's liveable as is but we were going to expand.

I'm sorry I'm struggling tonight.

Back
Top Bottom