Nksg75

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Needville Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,
This is my first time hatching quail. I am on day 11, and just wanted to ask if the aircell is correct size for this stage of incubation. I am in south Texas and it's always humid here. I have not added hardly any water for fear of being to humid.

I think your air cell size is fine for now if the pencil line is where it is....I would suggest you calibrate the hydrometer and trust it thou. No matter how humid it is outside. If you run the A/C indoors it will much lower. That's how A/C works, draws the humidity out of the air....Good luck and post up how your hatch comes out... Bill

Yeah looks right i candled a few of mine when i hatches some air cell was same place as those. I would add a little water at a time to try and get humidity to 40%. I have a forced air farm innovation 4200 i kept my humidity between 40-50% when they started hatching the humidity went up by itself to 65% 35 of 40 eggs hatched on day 17 the 5 that didnt hatch i left for 2 more days i finally broke them open there was just yolks. This was my first time hatching any kind of egg and it worked out great.

Also i use one of the small indoor/outdoor weather type stations that tells indoor and outdoor temp and humidity its gotta digital screen just stick the small sensor in the bator and youll have pretty accurate readings. Pick it up at wallword for about 12 bucks.

Ok, I have one of those digital ones and it says 32% humidity. Then the pet owners one says 20%. I did the salt test to see how accurate the. Pet owners one was, it was off 5% humidity. 5% too low.
I am going to be honest, I don't have the faintest idea about hydrometer vs the old humidity gauge, wet bulb/dry bulb etc.
I have read about it, still I would rather just do it the way I understand it, and look at the air cell size.

Accurate from Walmart the little black one that does temp and humidity. I got 2 and they are both spot on. And I've had great hatches with them. Dave

I don't check air cell or any of that. Just around 45% to 58% for first 14 days then 65 to 72% after that on lockdown. Just got a 70% hatch yesterday on shipped across the country Coturnix eggs.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the great input. I saw is mistyped pet owner instead of petco. My humidity on digital has been 20-25% the whole time, so I increased it to 35% today.

Back
Top Bottom