First-time Dog Breeding

Straight up it sounds like you are in a good place to be able to be there for all the what ifs.
Your girl looks very healthy. Most litters are born without complications (certain breeds can have issues every litter). I think all will be well especially since you will have vet care during it all.

I dog sat for our bloodhounds breeder several times while the pups were tiny. It was nuts lol. But then there were 2 litters of 12 each and 5 adult dogs.
Our pup just turned 1 in August. The breeder retained breeding rights if we chose not to spay. Yeah....we did the spay.

Haha I think I would have spayed too.

Haha I think I would have spayed too.

When our sweet River went into heat (1st heat) the breeder got all excited trying to talk us into sending her to Missouri for 5 months to be bred, deliver and nurse a litter of pups. They had just moved there a month earlier and were back to finish the sale of their house. She wanted to take her right then.
That would have been like giving our dog away.
I called the vet the next morning and scheduled the spay.

To stay on topic.....

While large breeds like Danes and Bloodhounds take 2 years at least to reach full size your medium size dogs are grown sooner.

I think the recommendation is a minimum age of 2 before breeding for the females of large breeds. Your vet may be the best one to say for your dog what age is best.

When our sweet River went into heat (1st heat) the breeder got all excited trying to talk us into sending her to Missouri for 5 months to be bred, deliver and nurse a litter of pups. They had just moved there a month earlier and were back to finish the sale of their house. She wanted to take her right then.
That would have been like giving our dog away.
I called the vet the next morning and scheduled the spay.

To stay on topic.....

While large breeds like Danes and Bloodhounds take 2 years at least to reach full size your medium size dogs are grown sooner.

I think the recommendation is a minimum age of 2 before breeding for the females of large breeds. Your vet may be the best one to say for your dog what age is best.

Yeah thats what the upcoming visit is for. If doc says she isn't ready this heat and I notice that the male is starting to court she's gonna go stay with my husband's sister at night after her bleeding.

I've only ever whelped out two litters of English Mastiffs--so I am by no means an expert--these are just some of my thoughts from that experience plus working at a Veterinary Clinic for nine years.

My advice would be to put some money away in case your dog needs an emergency c-section at your Vet's office. It's rare, but I like safety nets and if you don't need it, cool!

Prepare to hand raise the puppies--not because I think you should, but in case Mom decides that motherhood is NOT for her! So I would stock up on pet nursing kits and puppy formula.

I wish you the best of luck!

I've only ever whelped out two litters of English Mastiffs--so I am by no means an expert--these are just some of my thoughts from that experience plus working at a Veterinary Clinic for nine years.

My advice would be to put some money away in case your dog needs an emergency c-section at your Vet's office. It's rare, but I like safety nets and if you don't need it, cool!

Prepare to hand raise the puppies--not because I think you should, but in case Mom decides that motherhood is NOT for her! So I would stock up on pet nursing kits and puppy formula.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you I had really only thought of it for runts or supplementary for more puppies than teats.

So update, doctor said to wait one more cycle, so we will. The male isn't mature enough to mate her while she's in heat right now anyways. She stayed with family for half of her heat and the male hasn't tried to mount. They are always under supervision. Her next heat should be around July, summer babies!

He is too young yet as the vet suggested. Breeding is a great responsibility and should only happen when both specimens are sound and can contribute/pass on good qualities. If you feel the offspring will have the desired traits and health you are looking for then enjoy the experience.
I see much mentionEd regarding spaying and neutering. I WOULD NEVER SPAY OR NEUTER a bitch or dog until 18 months of age NEVER EVER Before then. I do agree with spaying and neutering when the time is right. As a responsible pet owner WE must ensure our pets don’t get in trouble until they are fixed. Having puppies sounds like FUN but carries a great responsibility and should never be attempted without a thorough understanding.
As recommended by so many spay and neutering animals at SIX months in my eyes is crazy. These animals are not physically full grown. Their bones are still growing, their muscle structure is no where nearly fully developed.
Dogs and Bitches need their sex hormones to properly develop their growth platelets in their bones. Early spaying and neutering has other health implications as well I am suppling one link of many that can be found.
https://fall2018.iaabcjournal.org/2018/10/31/spay-and-neuter-surgery-effects-on-dogs/

Back
Top Bottom