First time duck egg hatch...

I didn't see you said twenty-four hours :oops:, I would go ahead and put a small safety hole , twist very gently back and forth with a screw tip on the Aircell, do not make the hole to big. Oxygen in the egg runs out around twenty-four hours, I would put a safety hole in your other eggs if they don't pip within the next few hours.

I didn't see you said twenty-four hours :oops:, I would go ahead and put a small safety hole , twist very gently back and forth with a screw tip on the Aircell, do not make the hole to big. Oxygen in the egg runs out around twenty-four hours, I would put a safety hole in your other eggs if they don't pip within the next few hours.
:goodpost:Best advise since it’s been 24 hrs.

[
Hello..I would leave them. They will pip externally soon. Ducks are slow to hatch. Don't interfere. That can cause bleeds..just keep waiting.

Sorry but no, making a safety hole around twenty-four hours will be completely fine. I've done it many times with my broodies. Leaving them to be after twenty-four hours is just running the risk of the babies running out of oxygen..Safety holes are made to ensure that it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
I’m kinda iffy on the 24-hour number. To me, it depends on air cell size. If the air cell is small (comparatively) I might make safe hole at 18 hours. If it’s nice and big, I might give longer. If the duckling is quite active, I wait until they seem a bit more sluggish.

Either way, a safe hole is just that! ... Safety from suffocation, once it’s internally pipped! So there really isnt any harm in making one at any time, as long as you keep it small. Just enough to allow extra air to seep into the egg.

Back
Top Bottom