First time duck incubation (possible quitter?)

Quacklet-newbie

In the Brooder
May 21, 2024
Evening everyone, I'm hoping this lovely bunch of people can help me ive got a couple of issues with my first duck incubation. Firstly one of my eggs hasn't got a rounded bottom both ends are the same like a rugby ball, she's fertile and thriving so far at day 14 but air sack is on the side what is the best thing to do with this one please. And I've another that was doing fab but today on candling has stopped moving its moving around the egg like it's floating when candling as if died but still has what looks to be definite veins not as strong as the others and looks paler in half the egg could this be a quitter? how long should I give it before taking it out. I'll attach pics. Thank you in advance guys

Attachments

• 20240521_195429.jpg
    20240521_195429.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240521_195842.jpg
    20240521_195842.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240521_195544.jpg
    20240521_195544.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1
When they have a single red line/vein that cuts the egg in half, that means it’s 100% dead
There's definitely more you can see from the pics but no movement at all the others are all very active should I keep going and check regularly for now do you think?, thank you for your feedback

I would leave it in several more days, keep checking. If it died, it will become obvious. The veins will disappear
Thank you, do you have any tips on the egg with the side air sack its doing really well with strong veins so hoping it will make it through hatching

Thank you, do you have any tips on the egg with the side air sack its doing really well with strong veins so hoping it will make it through hatching
I would just watch it really closely during hatching. Draw the aircell with a pencil so you can see if it pips in the aircell. You can also candle it to see if the internal pip is in the air cell. If the baby pips in the aircell, all should be fine. If you see bruising outside the air cell, make a tiny pin sized safety hole over the bruise so it can breathe.

I would just watch it really closely during hatching. Draw the aircell with a pencil so you can see if it pips in the aircell. You can also candle it to see if the internal pip is in the air cell. If the baby pips in the aircell, all should be fine. If you see bruising outside the air cell, make a tiny pin sized safety hole over the bruise so it can breathe.
That's really valuable advice thank you fingers crossed 🤞 my first hatch goes well and we have some baby cayugas. Thank you 😊

That's really valuable advice thank you fingers crossed 🤞 my first hatch goes well and we have some baby cayugas. Thank you 😊
I hope you have a bunch of healthy babies! There is a waterfowl hatching guide on this site which has detailed instructions on assisted hatching. I’ll find it for you later

Back
Top Bottom