First Time Egg Candler Scared!

I took this yesterday and thought it was so cute, I wanted to share.

Awe!
thumbsup.gif

That's awesome!

Isn't it? It really is a great experience.

That's no lie. Wait? We have an excessive candling annonymous? Was wasn't I invited???
wink.png

Awe.
smile.png
Don't be surprised if they gang up on him. Hopefully they won't, but he'll be the new kid on the block, so just be prepared.
What happens if they do gang up? What should I do?

What happens if they do gang up? What should I do?
Give them time to figure it out themselves, and if they are really hurting him you can try removing the two for a few hours (leaving him in there) and then reintroducing them to the brooder. They might calm down and treat it as though it's "his territory". It's worth a try. Or move all three to a box (under the brooder light) for a few hours and then replace them to the brooder. The change might throw them off enough that they aren't focused on kicking his butt.
wink.png

I had put my day old chicks with my 2 week old poults and 3 week old chicks, and one of the poults was being a butthead and picking at the new chicks beaks and heads. I pinched him by the scruff of the neck and marched him to the corner, and let him go after a few seconds. He had no idea what happened but associated picking on chicks with being transported to a nether region of the brooder, and behaved like a good boy after that.

I had put my day old chicks with my 2 week old poults and 3 week old chicks, and one of the poults was being a butthead and picking at the new chicks beaks and heads. I pinched him by the scruff of the neck and marched him to the corner, and let him go after a few seconds. He had no idea what happened but associated picking on chicks with being transported to a nether region of the brooder, and behaved like a good boy after that.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom