First Time Egg Candler Scared!

It also depends on the age, breed, and diversity of your existing flock, as well as living quarters.

If you have a flock of red sex links, as I do, and put Barred Rocks or Buff Orpingtons or Easter Eggers or anything that looks different than them, unless the new birds are really tough they will be persecuted perhaps to death. Yet I can take one or a few red sex links of different age and they have no issues as long as they don't run scared.

I find having a mixed flock of colors, ages, and sizes makes adding more less painful, as does integrating on free range where they can keep their distance.
We're talking mixes for the most part into an already mixed breed flock. Even among same age chickens hatched from the same hatch you find discrimination of breeds. I baby my Polish/silkie mix because a couple of the others will target her to pick on her. Bunch of brats. They are just jealous of her beautiful puffy "hair do".

My Sexlinks and EEs are 10-12 weeks old now. I have SLWs and Marans 7!week old integrated pretty good. Now I have 3 day old Wyandotte that will have to someday get integrated. I'm a little nervous. I do have an 8x8 coop and a 2800 sq ft free range yard for them and they will be in a group.

Sad day. I finally pulled the plug on the incubator last night after water candling. Out of 9 I found 3 that quit fairly early, ~8wk, ~12wk, ~14wk. But 6 were fully developed and 2 of them even had the yolk completely absorbed. I would like to know if you can help me figure out why they did not hatch.

I did have a heat spike up to about 103 around day 16 for a short amount of time. The hottest part of the top of an egg I could find with my temp gun was 102.9.
Humidity for the first week was 55% then I took out all water and it stayed at about 40% until day 18 and then I put it up to 75%. I'm pretty sure my hydrometer was correct because once it went past 75% the window fogged up so I decreased the moisture and stuck at 75% without fogging the window.

Eggtopsy photos below WARNING GRAPHIC!

A few of them looked like this. The ones that had the yolk absorbed and looked ready to hatch.

Seems to have defecated. Why didn't it break out? Too weak? Too dry?

This one was an early quitter.

A little yolk, but so close!

I only used the fork to tap/crack the shell. I apologize that it's in the pic.

Here again, a little yolk, but almost there.

I don't ever want to see this again if I can help it so any advice you have would be great.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't ever want to see this again if I can help it so any advice you have would be great.
Thanks.
I'm not being a smartbutt, but that's exactly why I started shopping for a more expensive incubator. A temp near 103 could have definitely killed the late quitters, especially if they were closer to the heating element. I always wonder about the early quitters. I don't know why some of them stop while the others keep going. Could be a genetic issue, maybe the eggs weren't turned enough if they were collected several days before setting. I hate to see that myself, but it seems that's always a part of it. I average 2-4 that don't hatch, and they are usually fully developed with no pip. I don't even eggtopsy any more. I just look at it like they weren't meant to hatch. Sorry about your lost eggs, but at least you did get some healthy ones out of it
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

As you were breaking them open, when you peeled the chick out of its fetal position, did you notice if the beak was actually under the wing or not? And if it was close enough to the air cell? One of my last ones was totally absorbed and looked ready, but its head was down on its chest. Beak never made it under the wing, so there's no way it could have pecked out. And while that may explain why it didn't actually get out, it doesn't explain why it didn't put its beak under its wing to begin with!! Maybe too big, maybe mental defect, maybe stuck??

Its sad to know that they got "so close"... and I think we do learn by eggtopsies, but I'm not sure I will do any more of them. As long as I am getting good healthy ones, I don't think I will ever understand why some don't make it. I chalk it up to being what is meant to be.

Sad day. I finally pulled the plug on the incubator last night after water candling. Out of 9 I found 3 that quit fairly early, ~8wk, ~12wk, ~14wk. But 6 were fully developed and 2 of them even had the yolk completely absorbed. I would like to know if you can help me figure out why they did not hatch.

I did have a heat spike up to about 103 around day 16 for a short amount of time. The hottest part of the top of an egg I could find with my temp gun was 102.9.
Humidity for the first week was 55% then I took out all water and it stayed at about 40% until day 18 and then I put it up to 75%. I'm pretty sure my hydrometer was correct because once it went past 75% the window fogged up so I decreased the moisture and stuck at 75% without fogging the window.

Eggtopsy photos below WARNING GRAPHIC!

The membrane looks rather thick on this one to me. Could just be me, but I'm thinking maybe he had trouble piercing it??? It also appears that his foot is over his beak, would would signify a maleposition so that could have hindered his attempts as well.
A few of them looked like this. The ones that had the yolk absorbed and looked ready to hatch.
That is shrink wrapped. Probably a more porous egg that let out more moisture than the rest.

Seems to have defecated. Why didn't it break out? Too weak? Too dry?

This one was an early quitter.

A little yolk, but so close!

I only used the fork to tap/crack the shell. I apologize that it's in the pic.

Here again, a little yolk, but almost there.

Thanks.
A couple still looked overly wet, The early quitters are hard to tell. Could be temp, could be bacteria could be genetics. I will say I agree with SC, it's part of hatching. I average about 3 per hatch. Usually all between days 19-21. Because there are so many variables among eggs (porousity, shell thickness, size) they are as individual in their needs as we in ours and we can't give every egg in the incubator exactly what they need. While one egg may need more humidity it's buddy may need less. We can only serve the majority, unfortunelty, which leaves some at a disadvantage and for them less than optimal conditions for their individual needs.

I'm glad you did have the hatchers that you did. Next time you will have a better idea of what's what and I am betting you will see less of this.

So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

As you were breaking them open, when you peeled the chick out of its fetal position, did you notice if the beak was actually under the wing or not? And if it was close enough to the air cell? One of my last ones was totally absorbed and looked ready, but its head was down on its chest. Beak never made it under the wing, so there's no way it could have pecked out. And while that may explain why it didn't actually get out, it doesn't explain why it didn't put its beak under its wing to begin with!! Maybe too big, maybe mental defect, maybe stuck??

Its sad to know that they got "so close"... and I think we do learn by eggtopsies, but I'm not sure I will do any more of them. As long as I am getting good healthy ones, I don't think I will ever understand why some don't make it. I chalk it up to being what is meant to be.
Sometimes you just can not tell. My next to the last hatch I had 1 out of 3 that I could find absolutely no reason. I figure it had to be breed/genetic. Completely absorbed yolk, in position, a good size, not too dry or wet.... it was rocking day 19....then nothing. Sometimes you just can't tell.

Sometimes you just can not tell. My next to the last hatch I had 1 out of 3 that I could find absolutely no reason. I figure it had to be breed/genetic. Completely absorbed yolk, in position, a good size, not too dry or wet.... it was rocking day 19....then nothing. Sometimes you just can't tell.
I have had 5 broody hatches this year, and none over 75%. If I'm matching or beating my hens, I consider it a success

Back
Top Bottom