1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Time for an Old Timer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken Steve, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Chicken Steve

Chicken Steve Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Hi,
    I saw some hens at my friends house and for some reason had to have some. So I found out the local feed store sold chicks a couple weeks old. so I got six, two each of what they had to offer. After having a couple of roosters. Three went to auction and I came home with four more pullets. Seven now and we are loving it. Eggs soon we hope, they are 18 weeks now.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Hey howdy! from the Western Sierra Foothills! [​IMG]

"For some reason," huh? I think you're a convert to the Keeping Chickens community - watch out for "Chicken Math." (It's how we end up adding to our flocks without even realizing it.... first ya start with a few, then you see a breed you really think is nifty, so you get some o' those, then you have to get just a few more....)

I did NOT get chickens for eggs, honestly. I wanted their bug reduction skills and free fertilizer. Eggs are a bonus - a gift to me for taking good care of them. I will keep my chickens (except for those roosters hatched from eggs under broody hens) for as long as they live, whether they still lay or not. They will always be good bug catchers and they will ALWAYS make me smile! That's enough to pay their "rent." So I never really expected the pullets to lay at any particular time. (Some of the breeds in my flock are known to mature more slowly, too.) So, basically, I was never disappointed in waiting for eggs..... the first one was such a great surprise and each hen, as she laid her first egg, was given special treats for her efforts.

I ALWAYS thank them for their eggs. Silly..... but I do it.

I think the most surprising moment was when I realized each chicken had his/her own personality. I hadn't expected that at all.

Enjoy your flock! I cannot imagine NOT having chickens now....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

oh, the memories, i got my first chickens from a neighbor. they were great, i loved them, then, they started laying eggs and i loved them even more. then i learned that all ya gotta do is stop collecting the eggs and you get some new chicks. then i discovered that home grown chicken taste better than store bought. then we got a turkey.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Hope you get some eggs soon. Eggs from your own hens are the best!

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Yeah, the eggs will be coming any time soon :lol: Enjoy!!

6. sdsmowen

sdsmowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Hello and Welcome to BYC!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012