first time getting shipped chicks

Double Kindness

Songster
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
CO
I'm so nervous! I have always gotten my chicks & chickens locally, but I couldn't find any white bresse available locally and I just had to have them along with ayam cemani.

My 8 bresse are in transit and gaurenteed to arrive within 7 more hours according to usps. Instead of 12, only 8 are being shipped due to hatch issues and not shipping me weak chicks, which I truly appreciate!

Now my next question is where should I set up the brooder box? Normally this is not an issue, but I have 6 chicks 5 weeks old in my brooder box in the barn. 6 less than 5 day old chicks in the brooder box in my master bathroom.

I had planned to brood the ones in my bathroom with these bresse, but now thinking I should quarantine? But where? Living room mantle place? Spare bedroom? I don't want my flock of 47 to get anything by adding 8 less than a week old chicks not from a big hatchery, but a private breeder that only breeds white bresse. Should I be this worried? Or stick them with my other 6 chicks in my bathroom?

Hey! I just responded to you on another thread! I'm getting chicks shipped for the first time ever because the only person who has what I want is like 2 or more hours away and even then I'm not sure the quality or health of their birds! Mine will be here in about 3 weeks! (they haven't even hatched yet obvi)..
Honestly its up to you. Not quarantine means survival of the fittest if there is anything the chicks are carrying. Personally I'm doing a two week quarantine, its shorter than most (4 or 6 week) and will be extended if I see anything wrong but it offers my flock some protection without me "babying them".

I would quarantine them from the rest. I too am awaiting chicks to be shipped...I have 6 coming halloween week. 3 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 1 Golden Buff.....can't wait to get the little puff balls...these will be our first. Can't wait to get them! :)

I'm so upset! Ideal just called to cancel my order! I really hope I still get the chicks because a couple of hens that keep laying! I'm really upset!

Oh no! And I was about to put a bit more on paypal to get some cx from ideal today!! I guess not now.

I decided survival of the fittest. I'm highly likely to not change my clothes between going from one chicken area to another. So cross contamination is going to happen. I hope I don't regret this!

Oh no! And I was about to put a bit more on paypal to get some cx from ideal today!! I guess not now.

I decided survival of the fittest. I'm highly likely to not change my clothes between going from one chicken area to another. So cross contamination is going to happen. I hope I don't regret this!
They still have some standards.. Not sure what cx is.

Just curious here. I believe in quarantining, but if both sets of chicks came from a source where they were incubator hatched so not exposed to other chickens, and were put in with similar sized and number of peeps, how big a risk is that?
I would think very small, but I could be wrong. I know people (myself included) have put eggs from different sources in the incubator at the same time. Wouldn't this be similar?

Just curious here. I believe in quarantining, but if both sets of chicks came from a source where they were incubator hatched so not exposed to other chickens, and were put in with similar sized and number of peeps, how big a risk is that?
I would think very small, but I could be wrong. I know people (myself included) have put eggs from different sources in the incubator at the same time. Wouldn't this be similar?
I have heard there isn't really a risk if eggs were incubated and the chicks weren't near adult birds/ other birds.

I've never quaratined birds, and never had any probs. I've read you have a better chance of disease from local birds than you do hatchery ones. Hatcheries raise thousands of chicks, and have strict biocontrols in place. Most will not even alow outside visitors to enter their hatchery. But for the price you probably paid for Bresse and Cemani, you might want to think about it! Where did you buy your Cemani? I would love some, but couldn't afford the price.

The cemani I currently have are from byc member kerstiens (sp?) & the cemani, svart honas and smithsonian line of ayam cemani will be coming from byc member dcchicken in the spring. The bresse are coming from dcchicken's sister.

cx= cornish x meat chicken

Since June I have been slowly working on developing my property to be not so dependant on grocery store food. And I know my meat was raised humanely with love and much fretting and processed with respect and gratitude. Now after I get 8 bresse I will be at 55 chickens! 2 bunnies, 1 which will be mated next month and are meat rabbits. Muscovy ducks are on the list to find and buy this week, debating between a quad and trio.

Back
Top Bottom