first time getting shipped chicks

HighStreetCoop---I would explain to the company you are a first time buyer, and have had to take 2 days off of work due to the snafu....and 2 day mail isn't exactly express....I would see if they would mind refunding maybe half of shipping. If you do it nicely, they might just refund part of it. I have taken that route with other things before with good success....and sometimes not so good success. :)

Well, my first time getting chicks shipped has turned into a giant PITA. They were only coming from three hours away, and they're MIA. So I get to take a second day off work (which my boss is NOT thrilled about), and I feel like paying for express was pointless. Not sure I will ever do this again.

I am sorry that your experience with shipping has been so rough!!! I know I was really anxious especially when shipping cost more than the chicks that you are getting, as was the case for me. Are you going through Meyer as well? I know I have found their customer service really great and feel like they would be happy to work with you... I was really happy with them and when the time comes for more chicks I will use them again. I hope it all works out for you!

They are coming from Meyer also...that is why I was curious. I am in Arkansas...so yours transited over our state probably via air at some point. :)
What all did you get from Meyer? I'm really happy with my girls! This is my first time having chickens and I'm really enjoying them so far!

Shana23--I have 3 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 1 Golden Buff coming. Wanted some variety in the coop...and color! :) If this all works out, I will eventually add some Lavendar Orpingtons that I can get here more locally. Wouldn't mind some Wyandottes too!

Wxguru-- Very cool! I got 2 Black Australorp as well, I also got 1 Blue Ameraucana (I think my kids will love the blue eggs), and 1 Barred Rock from Meyer. I also picked up 2 Cochins from a local lady last Saturday... Do you have a lot of experience with chickens?

I ordered brown leghorns, welsummers, and easter eggers (hopefully i get some blue eggs, plan on breeding them to a wellie roo for olive eggs) for a variety of colors, from meyers. Eleven total, before we ordered them my wife noticed we could order ten more and the shipping difference they were basicly free. So we orderd the leeans adopt me mystery chicks. Butchered most of them, but ended up keeping a EEegger bantam and my kids fell in love with the golden laced polish pullet so i was forced to keep that one too. All arived healthy.

Very cool Beer Can! I don't know that I could ever butcher mine but I am getting them more for pets than dp birds... I have done my fair share of hunting and don't mind that, its just the getting attached to them I don't think I could then eat them... if that makes any sense... my husband thinks its silly of me but still... I hope you get the colored eggs you are looking for!!!

Believe me, i had a hard time with it, some of them were awesome looking birds, couple white cochin, silver and a buff polish, rir, etc. All roos. I have always been a hunter, but it is hard putting something you raised in the freezer. But they lived a good life and i know what is in them. Out of the ten only three were pullets, the third was a dark cornish, it a was the only one my kids were going to let us butcher, i wanted to see how much more meat, and breast size it would have in comparison to the others, but a racoon or fisher had a easy dinner before we got a chance, along with the buff polish one of each of my wellies and brown leghorn. I no longer free range them. That was part of why i had to butcher them, we have a large chicken coop but i couldnt have that many roos with so few pullets and they were getting mean.

Wxguru-- Very cool! I got 2 Black Australorp as well, I also got 1 Blue Ameraucana (I think my kids will love the blue eggs), and 1 Barred Rock from Meyer. I also picked up 2 Cochins from a local lady last Saturday... Do you have a lot of experience with chickens?
I am a first timer...currently in the middle of building my coop now! You can follow along here if you would like: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/924964/pallet-coop-time/10#post_14223058
I like the Ameraucana as well....a great looking bird and the different colored egg would be great!

Back
Top Bottom