first time getting shipped chicks

I've ordered from Ideal twice before and am expecting an order first of next month. I've been very pleased with them.

They tossed in 9 cockerel with your order of 8? Holy smokes!! To me that would be a nightmare...
Nah. I just sold them (well, the people are picking them up tomorrow) I'm getting $10 which isn't much for 9 but its money back for something that was free to me and now they will get a good life for a while until they become dinner which is more than they would have if they weren't included as packing peanuts!

Lol, well I got 27 dp meaties at a feed store a few months ago, and only 5 are roos, which of course is the opposite of my needs/wants. I'm thinking hard about getting 25-50 cornish x, cx, broilers in the spring. Or I might stick to muscovy ducks for a "fast" meat bird.

It's good to know many have been happy with ideal. Getting shipped chicks for the first time was nerve wracking for me. Luckily I have lots of great chicken friends and I got my chicks from a great breeder. They are all very happy and healthy today.

I'm done for getting any new birds until spring, but that doesn't mean I can't keep looking and planning what I'm going to do in the spring.

Turkeys? Maybe. Peking ducks? Maybe. French white muscovy ducks, yes. White bresse, yes. Svart honas, yes. Ayam cemani triple yes. Hmong, yes if I can get them.

My order is shipping today! I'm getting 4 girls from Meyers! I am really anxious about them, I hope they make it all right!!! We are first time chicken owners so this is our first time getting shipped chicks...
fl.gif

I will keep you updated! I live in west Texas! I originally looked at Ideal and read lots of good things about them but we only wanted 5-6 girls as we live in town and have a small backyard so we couldn't meet the 25$ minimum they require. I have really enjoyed the customer service so far at Meyer, they have a live chat available Wichita was very nice since I had lots of questions and then they were great about helping me find a hatch date in common with the different breads I wanted.

Did you get sexed babies? Do they include packing peanuts for warmth? Usually when you order a small order they will throw in extra males so they arrive alive...

Meyer's does not ship with packing peanuts. They have some sort of a heating element that they ship with the order if it is going to be relatively cool along the shipping route. Have no idea what it is they put in there, but must be approved for air travel. Mine are coming from Meyer Express Mail, so they should arrive next day from what the guy at Meyer told me on the phone.

Nayeli, I did get sexed chicks, I ordered females. They state that they do not send males for warmth, they pack heating packs instead. They do state that they ship orders with up to 4% extra chicks at no extra charge...

Back
Top Bottom