First Time Hatcher Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Well I didn’t have the restraint @3KillerBs has (and it is dark/stormy today). I think I have another one quitting on us. The veins are disappearing on part of it. There was still movement but I think it’s giving up. The eggs didn’t feel hot today either so I think I need to check the temp. Today is day 15(16?) I’m not 💯 sure how to count since I set them in the evening before bed. If this one quits we will be down to 3 out of the original 6 I set. These are duck eggs so we’re just over the halfway point. I’m not feeling optimistic for any to hatch though 🙈

Attachments

• DB767E8E-FEFE-45A5-9035-7C233F3ED2BC.jpeg
    DB767E8E-FEFE-45A5-9035-7C233F3ED2BC.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 88408BEF-4E97-49E4-AA15-65361ADA8CBC.jpeg
    88408BEF-4E97-49E4-AA15-65361ADA8CBC.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 99D9DE2A-8C48-4364-B539-E7EE24464DAE.jpeg
    99D9DE2A-8C48-4364-B539-E7EE24464DAE.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 5
Well I didn’t have the restraint @3KillerBs has (and it is dark/stormy today). I think I have another one quitting on us. The veins are disappearing on part of it. There was still movement but I think it’s giving up. The eggs didn’t feel hot today either so I think I need to check the temp. Today is day 15(16?) I’m not 💯 sure how to count since I set them in the evening before bed. If this one quits we will be down to 3 out of the original 6 I set. These are duck eggs so we’re just over the halfway point. I’m not feeling optimistic for any to hatch though 🙈
Seeing the retreating blood vessels is such a horrible feeling. I hope the others make it though!

Seeing the retreating blood vessels is such a horrible feeling. I hope the others make it though!
Yeah this is the 2nd one that I am seeing it on. The other egg wasn’t fertilized. This is our first time. Maybe right now just isn’t the best timing and I can get one of my girls to go broody in the coming months 🤷🏽‍♀️

We have candled. I took no photos because we were trying to work as quickly as was consistent with not really knowing what we were doing.

1. Saw a spot. 3% difference in weight.
  2. Clear. 5% difference in weight.
  3. Saw spiderweb. 5% difference in weight.
  4. Saw spot. 3.3% difference in weight.
  5. Clear with what might be an excessive amount of air cell. 4.7% difference in weight.
  6. Saw spot. DS#3 said he saw it wiggle. 5% difference in weight.
  7. Saw spiderweb. 5.4% difference in weight.
  8. Saw spiderweb. 1.6% difference in weight. (I have to suspect that one of these weights was wrong).
  9. Saw spiderweb. 3.5% difference in weight.
  10. Saw spot. 1.7% difference in weight.
  11. Clear? 5% difference in weight.
  12. Saw shadow. 6.9% difference in weight.
  13. Saw spiderweb. 3.4% difference in weight.
  14. Saw shadow. 3% difference in weight.
So, I have:
  • 3 that I suspect of not being fertile.
  • 2 indistinct shadows not clearly a spot or a spiderweb.
  • 9 definite spots/spiderwebs.
I left all eggs in the incubator for now.

I'm not sure how to evaluate the weight loss, which seems to have a two-peak distribution curve but apparently averages on the expected curve. So I'm not going to change anything.

Just finished candling, and 9 of the 18 in the first batch actually look great (including two cracked that I patched with wax) with nice embryos and veining and air cells are stabilized. Added 19 new polish eggs and incubator is officially full! I guess I better build a bigger brooder...
Lots of quitters in the first batch of shipped eggs this week, so I am down to 3 (including one of the cracked ones) there, and a handful of the polish eggs are infertile: 2 polish and 1 silkie are looking good on day 12, 10 polish on day 6 look great, and 2 look like they might have quit but still have veining, so leaving those in the incubator. Obviously I can't have only one silkie, so picking up a few more eggs from a local breeder to set this weekend because now I'm addicted to hatching eggs :)

My first time hatching chicken eggs was last year (I have hatched turkeys and ducks in the past), but I will be getting some shipped eggs any day now (will get a ship date soon!). This will be my first time hatching shipped eggs, so I am a little nervous. There will be 12 of them, 6 Welsummer, 3 Light Brahma, and 3 Black Australorp. I now regret a little not narrowing it down to two breeds so I could increase my chances of getting at least one pullet of each breed, but it is what it is now. I will also be adding a couple of my own eggs as well which will be mixes.

Looks like I’ll be starting lockdown a little earlier than anticipated. It’s day 21? And I’ve got some rocking already. I’ll probably wait til Mon or Tues (had planned to lockdown on Thurs). Most are at the 12% weight loss already (1 is a tad behind). That egg D from before hasn’t quit yet, still looks funky, but no smell, still movement, and I see some veins; wondering if maybe the membrane detached or something? 🤷🏽‍♀️ Made sure to get 2 bags of duck feed this time. I remember my babies last year going through it so dang fast. My adults don’t eat a whole lot of feed (I guess the forage more)

Back
Top Bottom