First time hatching and Murphy's Law seems to be in full effect

It looks like it pipped, but the membrane is not broken? Is that normal?
Alot of time there is a slit in the membrane that you can't see. Sometimes I get nervouse and pull a little hole in the membrane. (Shsh!) But generally they are fine. That's a good size pip, so I would think it's getting air.

Whew! I knew being my first, that I'd be nervously watching and waiting, but this is WAY more stressful than I thought it would be! Lol

Got that right! 3 more pips! But what am I looking at here?

Last edited:
I think I need help! It looks like the chick has too much liquid around the pip. There's bubbles in his beak and it looks like he's drowning to me.

The humidity has been around 75-80%.

If he is still alive and still hasn't made any progress, I would (with tweezers if you have them) pull back the membrane and increase the pip hole. It does appear to be extra moisture from the pics and he could very well drown. Have a couple q-tips and some water set aside just incase you have a bit of bleeding. If you have any signficant bleeding or see thick veining stop. What was your humidity at for the first 17 days?

If he is still alive and still hasn't made any progress, I would (with tweezers if you have them) pull back the membrane and increase the pip hole. It does appear to be extra moisture from the pics and he could very well drown. Have a couple q-tips and some water set aside just incase you have a bit of bleeding.  If you have any signficant bleeding or see thick veining stop.  What was your humidity at for the first 17 days?

He didn't make it. It looked like the yolk was coming out of the pip hole and had dried as hard as a rock around his beak and sealed the hole in the membrane. The rest of the membrane was like a water balloon around him. No blood. The humidity was kind of high during the beginning of incubation. 50-60% and I didn't use water. We even had a dehumidifier going in the room. I finally got a bowl of rice and brought it down to around 40%. I don't understand. I think I'm done for a while.

Ugh. Not a good day for me. I lost the third and the first chick. I have medication in the water now and the feed is medicated. I did get another BCM chick this morning, but the second one didn't make it out of the shell. The yolk is leaking out of it and he isn't moving. Plus, when I went outside to chore and a Nigerian Dwarf kid I had bought was dead.

He didn't make it. It looked like the yolk was coming out of the pip hole and had dried as hard as a rock around his beak and sealed the hole in the membrane. The rest of the membrane was like a water balloon around him. No blood. The humidity was kind of high during the beginning of incubation. 50-60% and I didn't use water. We even had a dehumidifier going in the room. I finally got a bowl of rice and brought it down to around 40%. I don't understand. I think I'm done for a while.
This is most commonly seen with high humidity during the first 17 days when the air cell doesn't grow enough. He had pipped center shell so if the humidity was higher and the air cell wasn't big enough and didn't draw down there far enough then it would certainly explain the circumstances. I'm sorry to hear he didn't make it. Don't give up. Whenever you have a situation like this go with your gut on wether to help or not. Sometimes we will make mistakes and pick the wrong thing to do, and anyone that says they've never made a mistake on a judgement call is full of you know what. Even if it's just making the pip hole a bit bigger until you can get an answer from someone whos on. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty about the decision you make, because at some point we all have to make a judgement call.

Back
Top Bottom