First time hatching, broody hen

I noticed a spot on one egg that I’m 99% sure she pecked and chipped the egg but the membrane is still intact so I’m hoping it won’t hurt the hatching of that one

If you can raise up the front a little that would be good. If you set all the eggs on the same day they should all hatch around the same time. 24 to 48 hours is normal. The chicks will be fine with the yolk they’ve absorbed for a few days as well. Once they all hatch you can move them to the floor. She will protect them and keep them warm. She’ll know what to do.

I stuffed hay in the back so tight I can’t push it out because there is barely enough of a gap that they could fall and I covered the front with cardboard about 7 inches high and rapping to the sides of the board. I used a staple gun and pushed on it to make sure it wouldn’t budge. I left a gap in the top so I can still see in but the chicks aren’t getting out. I marked all 5 eggs the same day, 2nd day she was sitting on them. I’m so excited and nervous like I’m doing it or something lol.

I had my first broody hen hatch a little peep for the first time a few months ago. That's what got me into incubating eggs. I would suggest not checking on the egg too often. I know this is really hard to do, but if you want the best hatch, do not check them every few minutes, check on it every few hours. I broke that rule when I had one hatch, so I only had one hatch. In the morning you should have a little peep running around. But if the little chick is still in the shell in the morning, do not worry, it can take up to 24 hours for a chick to hatch. Remember, THE MOTHER HEN KNOWS BEST. If you follow this rule you will have little peeps running around in the next few days. I think broody hens are so sweet. I also had a barred rock go broody, and she did every thing fine. I moved her down off the nesting box, and put her in a separate pen away from the rest of my chickens the day after my chick hatched. While the little peep is hatching keep chickens out of the pen she is in.

Good Luck! :jumpy:thumbsup

This was my first broody as well. I tried to cordon her off from the others but my best efforts didn’t work. I had to check for extra eggs every day. LOL Once they started to hatch I checked fairly frequently. Everyone did fine. I was so worried after hatch that the rest of the flock would be too pushy. A week after hatch Momma had them out with the flock! I removed any remaining barriers at that point. She clearly knew what was best. Now she’s teaching them to roost. Little ones grow so fast!
54FF99F5-3F5A-4215-8272-7F1E103E9B95.jpeg 8609F4CD-E504-40C5-94C3-0569E4A82079.jpeg

This was my first broody as well. I tried to cordon her off from the others but my best efforts didn’t work. I had to check for extra eggs every day. LOL Once they started to hatch I checked fairly frequently. Everyone did fine. I was so worried after hatch that the rest of the flock would be too pushy. A week after hatch Momma had them out with the flock! I removed any remaining barriers at that point. She clearly knew what was best. Now she’s teaching them to roost. Little ones grow so fast!
View attachment 1435881 View attachment 1435880
That's how mine went too. Smooth. I hope OP's goes as smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom