First time hatching, broody hen

13Bettys

Songster
Mar 7, 2017
Pinson, TN
image.jpg
This is the first time I have hatched eggs in any way. I had a hen go broody about 20 days ago so I marked 5 eggs and let her sit on them. I have candles them 2x (once today) and could see the chicks moving the first time (day 10) but today most were just really solid looking except for the air pocket. I am so excited but I’m nervous because I’m not sure what to do when they hatch. I tried to move her and they eggs to the ground in a 5 gallon bucket but she wouldn’t sit on them in there. As soon as I moved them back to the nesting box she had been in she jumped right back on them and checked them. My worries are is the nesting box too high and what do I do if they don’t all hatch the same day?
This is both of our first time hatching

Can you put up some kind of wall on the front of it, so she can stay where she is until after the hatch? I think you could make it safe.

I would move them after a few days, after all the eggs that are going to hatch do. Yeah, I'd board up the front up to the top, and is it open in the back? If so, you could put something there, too. As long as you work quickly, it shouldn't disturb your broody too much.

Thank you so much. I’m on it now. She isn’t very bothered by me. She was one of my firsts and i feed her from my hand and am very hands on with them so she only reacts if I try to reach under her or pick her up

I just went through my first broody hatch myself. The chicks are now 5 weeks old. Is there room for a small feeder and waterer in her box?

No and that’s why I wanted to move her. I have a large dog kennel fixed up in there that I put my chicks in when they are about a week old that I was thinking of moving them to (momma included) once they hatch. I’ve been putting chick feed in the nesting box but she takes up to much room for a waterer

How many days has she been sitting? You shouldn't need to lock her down until you see pips. I locked mine down on day 19, two hatched the next day. Took almost 25 days to complete her hatch, but all 12 ended up hatching. Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom