First Time Hatching Eggs! Kebonnixs Incubators

Juliet512

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2020
Austin, Texas
Ok so this is my first time hatching eggs. These incubators got pretty good reviews on Amazon and it was cheaper to buy two of these and than one that held 24 eggs so, this is what I went with. The humidity seems to fluctuate A LOT -- although it seems to mostly stay within the range of 45-55% and usually closer to 50%. Is that normal???? I am on the fourth day and have added a bit of water to them each time I have noticed it dropping below 48%. Last night I went to bed and they were both perfectly around 50-51% but, I turned my AC down a bit lower last night (I got sunburned working in my garden and felt hot) and this morning one of the incubators was at 37%!!!!!! I added water and turned up the temperature in our house and it quickly (within 15 minutes) came up to 47-50% humidity. How terrible is it that it dropped below 45% humidity???? I have no idea for how long they were like that? EEK! I haven't candled the eggs yet. I was going to do that tomorrow (fifth day). The other incubator never dropped below 45% so, that one should be good. I'm kinda glad I separated the eggs into two incubators now!

FE1F92ED-B815-4483-A881-CDEBA08739D0.jpeg

5C170C34-4B76-4D01-B238-1D0CDD39CE52.jpeg

311E213D-8DBB-481C-BCDB-F0EE2695684A.jpeg

Definitely don’t rely on any temp or humidity readings provided by the incubators themselves. Always have other thermometer/hygrometers in there - preferably multiple - to double check. There are various small ones available, such as on Amazon. In my limited experience, humidity isn’t a huge concern the first 18 days, as long as it isn’t ridiculously low or ridiculously high. What you want to monitor is air cell size and/or weight loss, then adjust humidity accordingly. Many people “dry” hatch - don’t really add any water. Mine usually runs 25/35 %. The eggs do fine enough. To day 18 anyway. From 18-21 days that’s where humidity is very important and I think roughly you should get it to 60% or more. So right now you are fine until lockdown anyway! Just get additional thermometer/hygrometers.

Definitely don’t rely on any temp or humidity readings provided by the incubators themselves. Always have other thermometer/hygrometers in there - preferably multiple - to double check. There are various small ones available, such as on Amazon. In my limited experience, humidity isn’t a huge concern the first 18 days, as long as it isn’t ridiculously low or ridiculously high. What you want to monitor is air cell size and/or weight loss, then adjust humidity accordingly. Many people “dry” hatch - don’t really add any water. Mine usually runs 25/35 %. The eggs do fine enough. To day 18 anyway. From 18-21 days that’s where humidity is very important and I think roughly you should get it to 60% or more. So right now you are fine until lockdown anyway! Just get additional thermometer/hygrometers.

Thank you so much! I will try to get extra thermometers/hydrometers to check.

hello greetings from Uruguay !! incubation room temperature? we are at 10c. and I see that it does not exceed 37c is incubator

Back
Top Bottom