First time hatching question

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by DoubleH, May 21, 2011.

1. DoubleH

DoubleH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    We have a male and female in a small pen together. Peahen started laying so we collected and tried to incubate eggs but none were fertile [​IMG]

She finally went broody on 4 [​IMG]

Peacock has killed any dove that get in the pen. The eggs are moving and making noise dont think they pipped yet. But now the peacock is making weird noises and acting weird.

Should we seperate them? Will he kill the babies?

Also do you think its ok to remove the peachicks and raise them ourselves?

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Well, I can't say about the boy, but removing the chicks and raising them yourselves is fine if you know how.

3. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I don't think the boy will kill them, they aren't competive lions. I would take 2 and let her raise 2. That would be allot of work for her just so you can take them away. But that is just my opinion.

4. DoubleH

Mar 6, 2010
    Quote:Is there anything special i have to do for them if I raise them? I hatched tons of chickens and turkeys. If its the same as those I should be ok.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Make sure there is water they can get to and 20% medicated chick starter.

6. DoubleH

Mar 6, 2010
    Thank you all for your help

7. plinkee

plinkee New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Probably a bit late to offer advice, but here goes, we've always raised our peachicks by hand which is time consuming. We have used broody chickens which is slightly better than by hand but then the peacocks think they are chickens and have flirted with our lady hens. Its far better to let peahens raise their own chicks, if they are free range birds it will help keep the chicks on your land because they stay side by side with mom until 2 yrs. Best food is the highest percentage in protein, we use pheasant food which is good. Superstarter peasant food has about 29% protein, then the pheasant crumbs and feed is slightly lower in protein. Best of Luck, we've had our first two of the season hatch this morning. Paula

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by