First Time Hatching - Questions and Concerns on Day 20

Offshoreorca

Whale Whisperer
Apr 15, 2020
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Everyone!

I have my first hatch in lockdown right now. Eggs started moving around well on Day 16/17 and I locked down at the beginning of Day 18. I'm using a Brinsea Mini Advanced II that has very good reviews. Airsacs were a little small going into lockdown, but that didn't concern me too much. I've followed the instructions to top off the second reservoir just before lockdown. You can tell the humidity rose after lockdown as there is condensation around the base where it meets the cold air, but not within the main part of the incubator itself. I last saw some movement from an egg yesterday morning and now all is quiet. So tempted to open the incubator and check, but I've refrained from touching now that it's on lockdown. I'm getting a little concerned as I would be expecting more movement or maybe some peeping/pipping at this point, but everything is very still. They are five cochin eggs and one silkie cross egg in the mix, from my own flock. They are halfway through day 20 at this point. I'm hoping it's just a late hatch, but reading a few threads here it seems like everything going quiet for a few days is not always a good sign.

The only mistake I can think of making was that I had the cooling function on in the Brinsea before day 7 by accident (for 60 minutes a day), but everything developed well with lots of movement so I thought I had squeaked past that error. It won't happen again... I wanted to put a hydrometer in, but it's been hard to get one during COVID so I decided to try my first hatch without as many folks had seemed to be able to use this unit as instructed without many issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 16
You still have another day. They are just resting from getting into position.

I hope so! It’s a little nerve wracking this close to hatch time. I keep thinking that I might have done something wrong or perhaps the humidity is off enough to have affected the hatch. It’s been a very long time since I’ve watched the hatching process (when I was a child) so I’m not 100% sure what is“normal”.

Did you use the cooling feature throughout the rest of the incubation period? Sometimes that can cause late hatches, so I would just wait it out.

Yes, I did by accident - didn't realize it had started at the beginning instead of on Day 7. But when all the embryos made it through until I candled at the end of Day 17 and were moving well, I thought that perhaps this hadn't effected them too much. Hoping that they are just a bit late at hatching and that I'm not seeing movement because they have positioned themselves now.

Yes, I did by accident - didn't realize it had started at the beginning instead of on Day 7. But when all the embryos made it through until I candled at the end of Day 17 and were moving well, I thought that perhaps this hadn't effected them too much. Hoping that they are just a bit late at hatching and that I'm not seeing movement because they have positioned themselves now.
If they were still moving around at day 17 then they should be fine. Just a little late :)

Yep! In agreement - wait it out! Im on day 22 of a hatch of Light Brahmas. Every egg hatches different some unzip and pop out quickly, some take days!
I am still trying to perfect my hatch rate. This hatch is at 7 chicks out of 12 eggs with one of those a clear.
I went for a "dry-er" hatch this time letting my humidity drop down during the first 18 days, hatch rate improved significantly from last time! I also used sponges instead of the channels. Easier to drop humidity if it creeps up with the sponges.

Yep! In agreement - wait it out! Im on day 22 of a hatch of Light Brahmas. Every egg hatches different some unzip and pop out quickly, some take days!
I am still trying to perfect my hatch rate. This hatch is at 7 chicks out of 12 eggs with one of those a clear.
I went for a "dry-er" hatch this time letting my humidity drop down during the first 18 days, hatch rate improved significantly from last time! I also used sponges instead of the channels. Easier to drop humidity if it creeps up with the sponges.

Thanks! I'm a little concerned my humidity is running high, but don't have a way to check right now. Air cells were a little small on Day 17 (drawn on eggs in photos), but not concerningly slow and they still had a few days to go yet. Hopefully there will be a couple chicks out of the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom