1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

First time hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poopcoop, May 6, 2009.

1. poopcoop

poopcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    I just had my first egg hatch in incubator. When do I take out of incubator and introduce to water? Any help is good help.

Thanks,

Ray

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    what do you mean by "introduce to water"? What kind of eggs are they? duck eggs? [​IMG]

3. poopcoop

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    They are Cochin- Chicken eggs. Can I take them out as soon as they hatch and give them water or do I have to wait a specific time?

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    People recommend you leave it in the bator until dried or 24 hrs. Then put it in the brooder with food and water. It will start to eat. I think the yolk sustains them for a couple days after hatching. I've only hatched one batch so far so I'm no expert but this is what I was told.

CONGRATS!!

5. poopcoop

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    Thank You!!

6. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    If you have other eggs in the bator DO NOT OPEN the bator!!! Opening it could have dire consequences for the other hatching chicks. Your chicks yolk will sustain it for 48 hours in the bator or your other eggs hatch out, whichever comes first. I'm on my first hatch so definitely no expert but I've been reading this forum avidly and learning everything I can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by