First time incubating duck eggs, Help!

Was the mark or vein looking thing on the egg possibly a crack or external pip? That maybe the cause of your humidity fluctuations and if so, you do not wanna open the incubator...that is very important. If you open it during hatch it could cause them to be unable to hatch and possibly die.

Was the mark or vein looking thing on the egg possibly a crack or external pip? That maybe the cause of your humidity fluctuations and if so, you do not wanna open the incubator...that is very important. If you open it during hatch it could cause them to be unable to hatch and possibly die.

It's best not to open the incubator if it's not necessary, but you can definitely open it without it causing the hatching ducklings to die, even if they are pipped :) I open the incubator during hatches all the time with no ill effects. So, while it's best not to if it's not necessary, opening it will not kill ducklings. You'd just want to make sure the humidity went back up quickly afterwards.

It's interesting that it keeps fluctuating like that without you adding water or opening the incubator. Have any of the eggs pipped? Is the temperature fluctuating as well?

The only way to lower humidity is to reduce the surface area of the water in the incubator. So that would mean taking some water out.

However I would just let it be for now.

Yes, temperature does fluctuate between 98.5 to 100.5. Lately its remaining between 99& 100. The humidity has lowered. I unplugged the side holes and this is what lowered the humidity.

One had a small crack, I taped it. This crack happened 4days ago, well I noticed it then. This one duck egg, occasionally wiggled that same day with internal pip. That same day about 3-4 eggs started to wiggle and internat pip.
Plus the one with the crack, I'd like to say hairline fracture because there's no opening, wiggled today. Along with two others.
However, that one egg with the mark that appeared today doesn't have anything else wrong.

It's interesting that it keeps fluctuating like that without you adding water or opening the incubator. Have any of the eggs pipped? Is the temperature fluctuating as well?

The only way to lower humidity is to reduce the surface area of the water in the incubator. So that would mean taking some water out.

Yes, temperature does fluctuate between 98.5 to 100.5. Lately its remaining between 99& 100. The humidity has lowered. I unplugged the side holes and this is what lowered the humidity.

One had a small crack, I taped it. This crack happened 4days ago, well I noticed it then. This one duck egg, occasionally wiggled that same day with internal pip. That same day about 3-4 eggs started to wiggle and internat pip.
Plus the one with the crack, I'd like to say hairline fracture because there's no opening, wiggled today. Along with two others.
However, that one egg with the mark that appeared today doesn't have anything else wrong.

It's best not to open the incubator if it's not necessary, but you can definitely open it without it causing the hatching ducklings to die, even if they are pipped :) I open the incubator during hatches all the time with no ill effects. So, while it's best not to if it's not necessary, opening it will not kill ducklings. You'd just want to make sure the humidity went back up quickly afterwards.
Yes, I was only stating the possibility of duckling getting stuck in egg. You are completely right and I agree.

Update: Total ducklings hatched is 9 out of the 11. Two still in incubator unknown if they will hatch tomorrow or not at all, which is sad.
My grandson was excited to see them but didn't want to touch them at all. He's 3 yrs old. I allowed him to lightly pet one with one finger. He only did two small strokes and even though he liked it refuse to do so again . He said, "awe they are babies so put them back grandma." I'm proud of him. Along with the ducklings hatched three chicks as well. I placed them with Eleanor who's brooding and has chicks hatching as well. She took them in but found one of hers very cold and weak. I took this on into the incubator to warm it up. As soon as it was active, I took the chick out and place it in the brooder with the ducklings. The chick is doing fine for now. Hopefully he'll survive.

Ok, my female duck is khaki. The ducklings fathers are Peking and Rouen. Based on this, what are the ducklings now?

Update: Total ducklings hatched is 9 out of the 11. Two still in incubator unknown if they will hatch tomorrow or not at all, which is sad.
My grandson was excited to see them but didn't want to touch them at all. He's 3 yrs old. I allowed him to lightly pet one with one finger. He only did two small strokes and even though he liked it refuse to do so again . He said, "awe they are babies so put them back grandma." I'm proud of him. Along with the ducklings hatched three chicks as well. I placed them with Eleanor who's brooding and has chicks hatching as well. She took them in but found one of hers very cold and weak. I took this on into the incubator to warm it up. As soon as it was active, I took the chick out and place it in the brooder with the ducklings. The chick is doing fine for now. Hopefully he'll survive.

Ok, my female duck is khaki. The ducklings fathers are Peking and Rouen. Based on this, what are the ducklings now?
Yay! New babies are awesome! You did wonderful on your first hatch

@Tlmcq , thanks! Did think it would come out as it did. So, added 15 duck eggs this time which I marked the date of 2.5.18. All looks fertile but haven't checked. My fingers crossed, but I am now having an issue. What am I going to do with all these ducks!? Like I said, wasn't expecting a good hatch rate on this first batch.

@Tlmcq , thanks! Did think it would come out as it did. So, added 15 duck eggs this time which I marked the date of 2.5.18. All looks fertile but haven't checked. My fingers crossed, but I am now having an issue. What am I going to do with all these ducks!? Like I said, wasn't expecting a good hatch rate on this first batch.
Sounds like you might end up becoming a victim of duck math! Plenty of support(enablers) here for that addiction...lol. I am a victim myself have 14 ducks now and am adding another breed this spring.

Back
Top Bottom