First time incubating - potential problem

Cesca

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2020
Hello, I am currently trying to incubate the eggs my barn owl pair laid unexpectedly. I know this probably isn't the best place to ask, but I am a little desperate. I want to do everything in my power to help these babies hatch successfully.

From my research barn owl eggs take 31 days to hatch. Of the 11 that were laid 4 of them were fertile. The first fertile one is scheduled to hatch tomorrow. Last night when candling I saw an internal pip and moved that egg to a separate incubator with humidity at 70.
There is a very small crack, but it is below where the air cell is and there has been absolutely no progress. Also I candled this afternoon and there is zero movement.

Am I just being paranoid and it's just too early, or is the chick in danger/malpositioned possibly? Should I maybe try to assist it tomorrow night if still no progress?

PicsArt_01-02-12.41.11.jpg
IMG_20200102_071155.jpg
IMG_20200102_192849.jpg

Based solely on chicken eggs... That last picture looks like the chick died a long while ago. At hatch time it should be dark except the aircell. And if you can see anything else inside you should be able to see blood veins on the inside walls of the shell.

Based solely on chicken eggs... That last picture looks like the chick died a long while ago. At hatch time it should be dark except the aircell. And if you can see anything else inside you should be able to see blood veins on the inside walls of the shell.
Thank you for replying!
The chick was moving up until yesterday and I was able to see the blood veins. Could I have done something that killed it when I moved it to the other incubator?

Thank you for replying!
The chick was moving up until yesterday and I was able to see the blood veins. Could I have done something that killed it when I moved it to the other incubator?
No moving it to a different incu should have been fine. 70% is the max humidity for chicken eggs going over that isn't good, but shouldn't kill them. Try to bring it down to 60 -65% before you move any others.

I see that you have an independant thermometer/hygrometer. As long as you're sure the temp reading is correct there shouldnt have been anything to kill it.

It may have drown having pipped outside the aircell the pip might have gotten covered with fluid.

I have had chicks hatch after pipping opposite the aircell, they just needed to be watched a bit more closely.

Hopefully the other 3 will hatch for you.

No moving it to a different incu should have been fine. 70% is the max humidity for chicken eggs going over that isn't good, but shouldn't kill them. Try to bring it down to 60 -65% before you move any others.

I see that you have an independant thermometer/hygrometer. As long as you're sure the temp reading is correct there shouldnt have been anything to kill it.

It may have drown having pipped outside the aircell the pip might have gotten covered with fluid.

I have had chicks hatch after pipping opposite the aircell, they just needed to be watched a bit more closely.

Hopefully the other 3 will hatch for you.
Thank you again. I'll adjust the humidity a bit and keep a close eye on this egg.

The next one is not due for another three days, and the last two were laid quite late so have a ways to go.

^u^ not a problem. Let me know how it goes.
Sorry for the late update. Very sad news and also good news.

The first egg must have drowned itself. I eventually opened it up and it was facing completely the wrong direction.

The second one pipped and cracked very nicely, but that was all it did, make cracks. It never managed to break the membrane. I feel absolutely terrible that I didn't try to help it sooner because when I tried to make an actual hole for it, it was already dead. The yolk had been completely absorbed, but I guess it just suffocated. T_T

Now for good news!

The third egg started with cracks and nothing more so after a day and a half I made a small air opening by it's beak. I ended up having to help the whole process,but it all went very well. I now have a beautiful baby barn owl and one more egg due next week.

IMG_20200113_022613.jpg

Sorry for the late update. Very sad news and also good news.

The first egg must have drowned itself. I eventually opened it up and it was facing completely the wrong direction.

The second one pipped and cracked very nicely, but that was all it did, make cracks. It never managed to break the membrane. I feel absolutely terrible that I didn't try to help it sooner because when I tried to make an actual hole for it, it was already dead. The yolk had been completely absorbed, but I guess it just suffocated. T_T

Now for good news!

The third egg started with cracks and nothing more so after a day and a half I made a small air opening by it's beak. I ended up having to help the whole process,but it all went very well. I now have a beautiful baby barn owl and one more egg due next week.

View attachment 2000765
Oh my goodness it's so FLUFFY. So cute glad you got one.

Do you havea plan for what to feed it?

Oh my goodness it's so FLUFFY. So cute glad you got one.

Do you havea plan for what to feed it?
I know! It reminds me of an old man that's balding but still has some white frizz left haha

I found a few good research articles on hand rearing birds of prey so hopefully I am good from here on. For now I have to feed him (I arbitrarily decided it's a he) mouse meat for the first few days then slowly introduce bones, skin, etc.

I know! It reminds me of an old man that's balding but still has some white frizz left haha

I found a few good research articles on hand rearing birds of prey so hopefully I am good from here on. For now I have to feed him (I arbitrarily decided it's a he) mouse meat for the first few days then slowly introduce bones, skin, etc.
Oh wow. Cool! Sounds like a lot of work, but it'll be cool to have an Owl friend when it grows up.

Back
Top Bottom