First time incubating

I will start by suggesting that you run a "dry" hatch and also to make sure you rotate eggs to a new spot in the incubator EVERY day to help ensure even development. Even my forced air bators have temp differences throughout.

Please note... the only vaccines I know of are cocci and Marek's. Neither of which I choose to vaccinate for. For eggs hatching in the incubator, Marek's cannot be passed to them. I don't want the vaccine hiding Marek's infected birds in my flock, I breed for resistance to it. And cocci is in every single chicken poo and can be avoided by keeping your shavings dry and water in the brooder poo free, MOST of the time. On occasion pasture conditions can allow cocci to proliferate, at which point I would simply treat with Corid. Feeding medicated feed (it has the same active ingredient as Corid) negates the cocci vaccine, and you could still need to treat for cocci even if using medicated (which I choose not to because it just blocks thiamine to slow the growth of cocci not eliminate it). The Marek's vaccine is available at feed stores, but not in small amounts (seems like 1000 doses maybe). It must be given to chicks within a short period after hatch (36 hours I think).

Other keys... use more than 1 thermometer and hygrometer, calibrated.

Hope you have a wonderful hatching adventure! :jumpy :jumpy

Be careful though... it's addictive. :wee

I will start by suggesting that you run a "dry" hatch and also to make sure you rotate eggs to a new spot in the incubator EVERY day to help ensure even development. Even my forced air bators have temp differences throughout.

Please note... the only vaccines I know of are cocci and Marek's. Neither of which I choose to vaccinate for. For eggs hatching in the incubator, Marek's cannot be passed to them. I don't want the vaccine hiding Marek's infected birds in my flock, I breed for resistance to it. And cocci is in every single chicken poo and can be avoided by keeping your shavings dry and water in the brooder poo free, MOST of the time. On occasion pasture conditions can allow cocci to proliferate, at which point I would simply treat with Corid. Feeding medicated feed (it has the same active ingredient as Corid) negates the cocci vaccine, and you could still need to treat for cocci even if using medicated (which I choose not to because it just blocks thiamine to slow the growth of cocci not eliminate it). The Marek's vaccine is available at feed stores, but not in small amounts (seems like 1000 doses maybe). It must be given to chicks within a short period after hatch (36 hours I think).

Other keys... use more than 1 thermometer and hygrometer, calibrated.

Hope you have a wonderful hatching adventure! :jumpy :jumpy

Be careful though... it's addictive. :wee
Should i just buy medicated feed?

Nope, in my opinion medicated feed is a waste if you can keep your shavings dry and your water poo free. And it will only fight (slow the growth of) cocci. But if you have large broods where it may be wetter, then it may benefit you. Really is a personal choice. Medicated feed is safe though not a guarantee.

You can purchase the Marek's vaccine and administer it yourself if you like and are confident. Since your other birds are vaccinated you could very well already have Marek's and not know it. For me, I don't want Marek's hiding in my flock and rather have it die off. But I am breeding for health and resistance so that won't be the right answer for everyone. If hatched in the incubator, and they are being sold... I just maintain bio security in the brooder as well as possible for those that are leaving. If staying, I take my chances... but NONE of my other birds are vaccinated... again by choice... and YES, I have seen Marek's at my place and lost (culled) 2 out of 82 birds last year to it.

I can share this Marek's link with you. It may help or just be more confusing...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Definitely get some more opinions instead of just mine... :cool: I take a hard line for selection of health and genetics in my breeding stock, even though I am truly just a hobbyist. :pop

Thank you so much...all my flock is vaccinated against both...so not vaccinating them wont hurt?
If my whole flock were vaccinated... then I might very well be sure to vaccinate new birds, specifically against Marek's.... IF I were YOU.

See if that link helps. And if you don't get more response before I check back or have more questions, then I will try to call over a few peeps with some experience. :)

Nope, in my opinion medicated feed is a waste if you can keep your shavings dry and your water poo free. And it will only fight (slow the growth of) cocci. But if you have large broods where it may be wetter, then it may benefit you. Really is a personal choice. Medicated feed is safe though not a guarantee.

You can purchase the Marek's vaccine and administer it yourself if you like and are confident. Since your other birds are vaccinated you could very well already have Marek's and not know it. For me, I don't want Marek's hiding in my flock and rather have it die off. But I am breeding for health and resistance so that won't be the right answer for everyone. If hatched in the incubator, and they are being sold... I just maintain bio security in the brooder as well as possible for those that are leaving. If staying, I take my chances... but NONE of my other birds are vaccinated... again by choice... and YES, I have seen Marek's at my place and lost (culled) 2 out of 82 birds last year to it.

I can share this Marek's link with you. It may help or just be more confusing...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Definitely get some more opinions instead of just mine... :cool: I take a hard line for selection of health and genetics in my breeding stock, even though I am truly just a hobbyist. :pop
I am more helping with my coudins flock...currently looking for my own place out of city limits so i can start my own flock. We disagree alot on bird keeping

I am more helping with my coudins flock...currently looking for my own place out of city limits so i can start my own flock. We disagree alot on bird keeping
It's nice that you can help out. Good luck finding your own place! By the time you get your own flock you will have LOTS of information. And sometimes my goals and decisions have changed. And surely what's right for some is not for others. And that's OK! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom