First Time Incubating!

my sunwolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Southwest Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Just set 42 chicken eggs in the Genesis 1588. Barnyard mix with a Buff Orp roo, all set from white or lightly tinted eggs. I'm so excited but really worried that none are going to hatch... the humidity in the house was 15% and I could not get it up, so I've been adding water even though I'd prefer to do a dry incubation. I have been trying to keep it around 40%, but so far it's been a struggle just to get it to stay about 25%. The incubator thermometer and hygrometer are correct, though, so that's good. I can't wait until day 7 when I get to candle!

Is it okay to remove eggs from the incubator to candle? How long can I keep them out?

Does it mess up the incubator when I crack it open to add water?

I know, I need to relax. I just CAN"T WAIT!
big_smile.png

No it will not hurt to leave it open for a few min dont leave it open to candle all 42 but i open mine up to candle every day "5 min tops" and see whats good and what needs to go. i dry incubate up untill hatch time then they go to my styrofoam incubator to hatch where i do keep the humidty up. good luck

A hen will leave the nest for more than 20 minutes at a time, I would not worry about opening it to do the candling. I have read where some open them up for about 20 minutes each day to get a natural cooling cycle,,, I have not tried that. (yet)

A hen will leave the nest for more than 20 minutes at a time, I would not worry about opening it to do the candling. I have read where some open them up for about 20 minutes each day to get a natural cooling cycle,,, I have not tried that. (yet)
good point!

your ok adding water, Dry incubation doesnt mean Dry per say, it means you keep it within a certain range.... please refer to humidity https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Thank you! I finally figured that out on the dry incubation page where it said that 25% is low... that let me know that my house is WAY too low! So I've been adding enough to keep it between 25% and 40%. They are looking good, the eggs say they are happy and warm and can't wait to be little chickens
smile.png
Really hoping that at least half of them make it, can't wait to candle on Day 7!!!

Back
Top Bottom