1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Time Incubating!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by my sunwolf, Feb 10, 2013.

1. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Just set 42 chicken eggs in the Genesis 1588. Barnyard mix with a Buff Orp roo, all set from white or lightly tinted eggs. I'm so excited but really worried that none are going to hatch... the humidity in the house was 15% and I could not get it up, so I've been adding water even though I'd prefer to do a dry incubation. I have been trying to keep it around 40%, but so far it's been a struggle just to get it to stay about 25%. The incubator thermometer and hygrometer are correct, though, so that's good. I can't wait until day 7 when I get to candle!

Is it okay to remove eggs from the incubator to candle? How long can I keep them out?

Does it mess up the incubator when I crack it open to add water?

I know, I need to relax. I just CAN"T WAIT! [​IMG]

2. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    No it will not hurt to leave it open for a few min dont leave it open to candle all 42 but i open mine up to candle every day "5 min tops" and see whats good and what needs to go. i dry incubate up untill hatch time then they go to my styrofoam incubator to hatch where i do keep the humidty up. good luck

3. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    A hen will leave the nest for more than 20 minutes at a time, I would not worry about opening it to do the candling. I have read where some open them up for about 20 minutes each day to get a natural cooling cycle,,, I have not tried that. (yet)

4. Slongest

Slongest Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    good point!

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you! I finally figured that out on the dry incubation page where it said that 25% is low... that let me know that my house is WAY too low! So I've been adding enough to keep it between 25% and 40%. They are looking good, the eggs say they are happy and warm and can't wait to be little chickens [​IMG] Really hoping that at least half of them make it, can't wait to candle on Day 7!!!

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by