First Time Mama: Chicks & Pecking!

Brennigan

Songster
7 Years
Jan 9, 2014
West Michigan
HELP!
I introduced our Welsummer here last night saying we were getting two others on Tuesday. Well, we just couldn't leave her lonely that long, so we bought a silkie bantam from FFH in Holland. Now, our Welsummer is pecking at the Silkie's feet and face! The Welsummer was only alone as one chick for 24 hours total. Is this normal behavior? "Pecking" order? Or should we separate them? Is the Welsummer showing dominance because she's larger?

Sorry if this is a silly question -- just a new mama trying to figure out what's right!

Good question she will show that she is boss to your Silkie but be care for a Silies' skull is not comepletty hard and head injuries can happen if she gets pecked hard in the head.

@hensonthefarm // thank you! Right now, she's just pecking at her feet and eyes. I sprinkled food all around and they both pecked at that until they fell asleep.

@hensonthefarm // thank you! Right now, she's just pecking at her feet and eyes. I sprinkled food all around and they both pecked at that until they fell asleep.
Your welcome I would just keep an eye out in case. Its sad to find a slikie with head problems after being pecked in the head.

Back
Top Bottom