First time mama hen

mlrod1914

Chirping
5 Years
May 13, 2014
Berkley, MA
Ok we have a first time mama hen. 8 month old Swedish flower. We got our first chick Wednesday. I came home today to check and she was out with the little one plus another! Unfortunately the newer one was on the cement slab near the food and eyes closed. It was so cold. Peeping. So I scooped it up waiting for mama to get back on the nest (there's two more eggs unhatched). She didn't go so I put it in a brooder with a heat lamp.
I just checked on it (an hour later) and it's bright eyed and peeping. Moving around a bit. When can or should I put it under the mama again?

As soon as possible, I always contain my broody and her babies so they can't wander like that, it happens a lot, if you catch them early enough they recover quite quickly.

Thank you. Took your advice and just now moved mama to the egg box which isn't being used right now and closed her in. I brought the younger chick out since it was starting to peep very loud looking for its mom. She took them both under her. I'll check later on tonight to make sure she's still caring for them.

Glad to hear that, I like keeping my broody and her chicks in a small wire enclosure for the first week or two, it's about 3 ft diameter, the hen can keep the chicks under her, the food and water are close, it gives everyone a chance to grow and get strong, by two weeks the chicks are ready to integrate into the flock and I begin letting them out during the day and return them to the pen at night until they seem okay without my help.

Back
Top Bottom