First time momma intro

We don't at this time. We have a little cabin out back but its too drafty. When I took them out and let them roam in the bathroom they started exploring their wings and they got some air time but more of a horizontal flight that resembled a long jump. I have a feeling they are different ages ( some 2-3weeks) judging by their wing development and a few other observations. The smaller ones ( banthems? Is it true that term refers to size and not breed?) are actually older. They had been there a week and I took the runts of the runts to make sure they had a home. Learned about pastybutt instantly with the smallest, and glad she's still with us. Would a baby gate work for a top cover or are the holes too big and be a concern for injury? I appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom!
Yes, bantams are smaller than standard sized chickens. There are many breeds of bantams including true bantams for which there are no full size counterparts.

I think the baby gate will work just fine. They won't try to fly into it.

I don't know if anyone answered your question about holding them but what I do is just calmly go about the business of caring for them (multiple times a day because who can resist chick visits!) and whenever I reached into the brooder, they came a running. Most of them don't like to be picked up so I don't force the issue. I feel it is better for a chicken to be a bit leary as it may save her life one day. None of my current flock likes being picked up. All of them will come running over when they see me and flock around my feet so tightly it's hard to walk. All will eat out of my hand (except my numbskull cockerel) and in the summer when I hang out in their pen with them, most will hop up on my lap and let me pet them. I let them do all of this on their terms.

Last edited:
Yes, bantams are smaller than standard sized chickens. There are many breeds of bantams including true bantams for which there are no full size counterparts.

I think the baby gate will work just fine. They won't try to fly into it.

I don't know if anyone answered your question about holding them but what I do is just calmly go about the business of caring for them (multiple times a day because who can resist chick visits!) and whenever I reached into the brooder, they came a running. Most of them don't like to be picked up so I don't force the issue. I feel it is better for a chicken to be a bit leary as it may save her life one day. None of my current flock likes being picked up. All of them will come running over when they see me and flock around my feet so tightly it's hard to walk. All will eat out of my hand (except my numbskull cockerel) and in the summer when I hang out in their pen with them, most will hop up on my lap and let me pet them. I let them do all of this on their terms.

Brilliant, thank you so much. That's very helpful and makes sense. They are about 2/3 weeks and they are starting to dig into the shavings and they end up in the water in about 5 seconds. Any suggestions? Are they ready for sand? My boyfriend wanted to make half sand and half shavings in their brood.

Back
Top Bottom