First time Out of Coop&Run (lots of Pics)

donnaIL

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
SouthernIL
Yesterday was a beautiful day in the 60's so I cleaned the little coop and let the younger chicks (15 wks 3 day) explore. I got these chicks in October from Ideal.

BarredRock.jpg
Brahma.jpg
EE.jpg
GWyadotte.jpg
GWyadotte1.jpg
Group.jpg
SWyadotte.jpg
SalmonFav.jpg
SpeckledS.jpg

Quote:
The others are:
Barred Rock
I only have the one brahma (2nd pic)
Then the EE's with a sexlink

and wondered if anyone thinks either of those Golden Laced Wyandottes is a roo? (I think maybe the 2nd I was suppose to get one)

A group ( I also got a couple California Whites)
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Salmon Favorello
and then the Sussex.

I will say the Salmon Favorello is the shyest bird of all of them. The Sussex is a bird with lots of personality and confidence the cockerel chased off the bigger birds (even my white rock cockerel that is almost a year) when they were out!

I ordered a combination so I would have a variety of color (both in birds and eggs)

I thought they turned out good for hatchery chick.

Very nice flock now my mind is at easy i ordered from Ideal & will have chicks shipped March 4th:cool: Oh by the way the Golden laced wyandotte looks Rooish to me

Last edited:
The goldenlaced one looks like a hen. Notice the rounded feathers in front of her tail.
If it was a young male they would be pointed feathers and growing the long flowing ones like the speckled sussex.
She does have long gangly legs tho! May grow into a nice hen.....

Great flock of chickens....

Those are two different GL..and a third one I did not get a pic...I only thought maybe the 2nd pic was a roo...but might be the one hiding.

Thanks lilchick, its it possible that I could order roos and get hens?

Hatcheries guarantee 95% accuracy when sexing chicks. Must have been an off day for the sexer when I ordered from Cackle a few years ago! I got 3 roos out of 10 hens!
Before the feathers come in by tail there usually is a few other signs of a roo. The shape of the tail, hen's start to stand straight out a males will droop.. Also the roo is bigger and so is it's feet!
Now with silkies I have a much harder time telling which is which!

Back
Top Bottom