First time outside [PICS]

The crop dusters wasn't really close probably 200+ ft. I just know when they sprayed last year some of the herbicide (no pesticide, just spraying for noxious weeds) drifted and killed some of my plants. My chickens seem ok so I'm not worry too much about it. I'm not doing anything organic, this is my first year so i'm feeding medicated til I get into the swing of things.

Thanks Kelsey! I gave my neighbor 100 bucks for it. It was just going to rot away in the pasture anyway. Here is a picture of it before we started to work on it.

89287_dsc00672.jpg

I have a question how hard is it to move the fencing? Do they try leaving or do you just make them come with food and if not what do you use to get them to stay in the fencing.

Thanks,
RIRs

The fencing is pretty easy to move, definatly managable by yourself but a lot faster with 2 people. This is my first year raising chickens and I started with CX's and I have learned if their is feed around they aren't going anywhere. It will wave back and forth in the wind since you can't make the netting super tight, we had 45+ mph winds yesterday but it didn't cause any problems for me. If you decide to get it, I would definately get the poultry net plus double spike. It has more post/poles weaved into it so its sturdier and the double spikes are easy to put into the ground with your foot.

I hope this helps!!

I love your coop too. It's great to see the before photo. Thanks for the info on the fencing. It looks like a good deal.

What does the coop look like on the inside? Has it always housed meaties or did you have laying hens at any point in there?

Our neighboor said they used it only as a brooder house and then they moved their chickens to a large coop. I don't think its ever housed hens. After we butcher these chickens we are going to insulate it, put in nesting boxes and make it into a hen house(we are getting a variety of 10 pullets in septemeber) with a permanent run. I have fallen in love with chickens, so I can't imagine not having any til next year. We are going to put in a steel building for CX's next spring.

Thanks alot for the info Kristen I am getting CXs in October when the heat goes down a bit cause I cant imagne CXs in Florida summer heat.
What type of steel building are you going to be building?

Thanks Alot,
Tony

Quote:
Sounds great!
thumbsup.gif

We have several pullets who are to be laying hens. Some of them are WONDERFUL and very friendly. Besides being able to appreciate them as chickens - we're looking forward to the eggs!

I'm not sure what size of building im going to put in yet. I haven't decided if i'm going to do 50 chickens or 150 next year. A lot of neighboors and friends are wanting to buy chickens from me right now but I just don't have enough for that between me and my fiance, we go through a lot of chicken in a years time.
tongue.png
When we start our renovations I will be sure to post pictues.

Back
Top Bottom