First time palace/fortress design Help

OverEasyAcres

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
Shenandoah Valley
Looking to double the flock from 5 to 10. In doing so I'd like to ditch the crummy hand me down coop we got for free and build something to last a while.
Wants:
Easy human access, insulated from virginia cold/snow, vented for summer heat, good ventilation in winter, no heat lamps!, moisture safe, rodent free, predator proof (snakes!!), and it has to look... *cute*.
Dimensions: 8x6 coop and 3 foot L shape run on 2 sides which would be covered by a single roof over the entire space.
Details: 2 windows in front (24x24) plus a human door (24x6foot), same windows in back with a chicken door. Left wall contains nest boxes (4) sticking out. Shingle roof with rain water catch.
Materials: concrete block under 4x4 supports 10" off ground. Subfloor area of 7x9 (the extra foot on 2 sides will become a "deck". Floor frame is 2x6 PT wood, 16" OC. Floor is 3/4" PT ply with vinyl floor. Standard cheap 2x4 walls no more than 24" OC to accommodate the windows. Roof with supported center truss (2x8) AND? collar ties. 2x4 PT rafters. Standard felt underlayment the asphalt shingles. Run (covered by main roof) will have 4x4 supports at roof ends.
Dimensions: Roof is offset gable 12x10, two sides would have a 3 foot overhang to cover the run. 4.5/12 pitch. Coop size is 6x8 sitting on a deck of 7x9 giving them a 1 foot deck on 2 sides.
Concerns: With the large roof will the 2x6 floor joists be enough or do I need to go 2x8? What's the best roof support? Collar ties or supported ridge beam? Will a 3 foot overhang be too weak or settle offset to the main deck frame? Is 10" off the ground the right height? I want to stave off moisture from snow and rain and be up high enough to deter snakes and mice (I find this concept useless as both can go up the little ramps/steps and the 6foot black snakes have no problem getting in our 16 foot attic). But I am concerned about creating a haven for skunks which we have.
Sorry this is so long.

I should also add that the walks will be insulated via standard cheap Fiberglas roll type. Then covered with that paneling they use in showers. Roof rafters in the same way (or is that stupid because of all the ventilation?) Floors... No clue yet.

I like the way you think! My new coop is 8*8 (plus a four foot front porch) and is constructed very similarly. I used a supported ridge roof (a 14 foot 2*6) and 2*4 rafters, but with a 6" pitch (stronger but not too steep), and used Ondura roofing sheets instead of shingles. I did tie down the 2*4 rafters with hurricane straps.

Mine is also on 2*6 floor joists, but with doubled 2*6's on either side where you plan 4*4's (you can see the labels still on the end in the picture). I will have an arbor for the run, covered by muscadines, but love your idea for incorporating the run under the overhang. I would probably extend the roof even more, maybe with a shed roof on the non-gable side, to provide more protection-or room-and support with 4*4 posts. You will need something out there anyway to attach the fencing to. Here is mine as of last weekend:

Last edited:
Kitfoxdrvr: nice looking coop! Did you run your 4x4's, all the way up on the corners to the roofline?

Thanks, not sure I would do it again, I am not a carpenter. And now I am finding out how not a painter I am! Nothing is ever any bigger than when you are standing in front of it with a bucket of paint...

And yes, the 2*6 gable cross piece and roof ledger extensions, and the second-to-last set of 2*4 rafters are lagged to them. We had some really strong winds a few weeks ago (gusts to over 60 mph) and it held together even before the hurricane straps. I think the girls will be safe!

Steve

Update... The coop is coming along well. Put most of the roof on last night. Doing interior walls tonight so the chicks can have their grand opening this Eve. The rest of the work can be done with them living in it.

Looks great! Are you going to put hardware cloth over the opening by the roof? That would be some good ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom