First-time Postpartum Broody Hen?

Rpnelson

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Upstate NY
Hello all! Just hoping to get some insight on my post-broody hen (I'm not sure what the terminology is when the chicks have already hatched??)

Momma hen has (5) 3-week-old chicks and while she did pluck feathers while she was sitting on eggs (which I know is normal), she is starting to really pluck again from her chest area. I looked and it doesn't seem to be any other areas. She's a Cochin and a bundle of feathers. Today there were many, many feathers in the run.

It's this normal behavior? (I have no roosters). Is there something I should do? The skin doesn't look angry at all... Just fair chicken skin.

Otherwise, she's been an amazing first-time momma!

Hi there. :frow

Congrats on your first broody family! :wee

I raised Silkies for a few years and MANY of my broody hens would do little molts after setting and raising some young. They were usually recovered well enough and returned to lay once booting the young. It ended up really being a bonus as they never went into full molt and quit laying for a whole season... just during their broody spells.

This may or may not be the case for your hen. If she is eating chick starter? How old is she?

Hope all is well! :fl

All my chickens seem to now prefer the chick starter . My hen is almost a year old...

QUOTE="EggSighted4Life, post: 21454422, member: 415725"]Hi there. :frow

Congrats on your first broody family! :wee

I raised Silkies for a few years and MANY of my broody hens would do little molts after setting and raising some young. They were usually recovered well enough and returned to lay once booting the young. It ended up really being a bonus as they never went into full molt and quit laying for a whole season... just during their broody spells.

This may or may not be the case for your hen. If she is eating chick starter? How old is she?

Hope all is well! :fl[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

I've quickly looked but I will really investigate!! Thanks!

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Back
Top Bottom