first time predator attack

Grass

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Salem,Ohio
the neighbors dog pulled one of my hens under the fence and gave her a chewing on before i caught it....i think she may have a broken wing...i separated her from the rest the flock ..shes eating and drinking..but her wings just hanging there. i checked her poo and theres no blood. anything i can do to make feel a little more comfortable with the wing?at first i thought it broke it's legs but now she is starting to stand on it again...but the wing looks sad...i'm gonna see how she acts on the leg tomarrow, but it maybe broken to

The first thing is to clean the wounds, if she has any open places...then to get her somewhere that she'd not be bothered and kept quiet...
Make sure she has food and water...you can put some baby aspirin in the water for pain.

Next is to tell the neighbour about what their dog did.

Third, if your pen is chicken wire, get hardware cloth and reinforce it...
Chicken wire keeps chickens in and nothing else out...

they free range and the dog ripped it under the fence ....i will add the asprin to the water to help with pain .....will the wing heal?

That dog will more than likely be back for more. Once they figure out they can get in somewhere and tasted blood, there's no turning back in their minds.
You'll either have to reinforce your area and make very sure he can't get back in and do the same thing or they'll have to keep their dog contained. Doesn't mean another dog or predator won't try the same thing though.
I'm sorry to hear this happened to your hen, but thank goodness you were there and she hopefully will heal up just fine.
D.gif

Make sure the neighbors know what happened ahead of time and that you'll protect your chickens on your property, so they are aware of the problem.

it's good wire fence the dogs are in just the bottom was loose and she manage to pull it under the fence to their side ....i caught it before she killed my chicken ...but shes hurt pretty good

They have amazing healing abilities. One of mine got savaged by another chicken and her neck was wide open from the top of her head to the shoulder, very gory, skin gone, bone showing. I thought it was hopeless.

I isolated her in a dog crate, still inside the pen (I didn't want her to get lonely or for the others to forget her and have trouble re-introducing her to the flock.) I rinsed the wound with homemade saline (boiled 1 qt water then added 1/4 tsp salt) and rubbed neosporin on the wound. I chose not to use aspirin or antibiotics. She didn't eat or drink for about 36 hours, but she slowly started to perk up.

Incredibly the wound got smaller and smaller (huge scab, but no infection), the bones disappeared under new skin and the feathers grew back! I released her back with the flock and they accepted her back without any more problems.

I was astonished, I thought she was going to die and she made a full recovery without hardly any intervention from me.

Best of luck with your girl.
hugs.gif

thank you all for the replies ....i was beginning to think there was no hope ....i hope she makes it cuz shes one of my first hens to start laying for me....wife said if she does her name is lucky

First let me say, I am so sorry about the hen. Now, if her wing is drooping...it quite possibly is broken. The best thing to do for her it to wrap her bad wing close to her body. Are you sure there are no puncture wounds? Check her over before confineing the wing to her body, as those will need to be cleaned out, and dressed with neosporin. With an ace bandage, snugly wrap her wing in the normal folded position close to her body. You can go under the other wing to give her free movement of the "good" wing. Im sure she is in pain...so the aspirin is good. Im sure her wing will heal in time....several weeks probably. Good luck with her..and I agree with the others...let the dogs owner KNOW what she did.
edited to say.....make sure that you are NOT giving her ibprofin....apsirin is ok.

Last edited:
it was asprin free and ibrofen free childrens pain reliever, acetaminophen....i will try the the wing wrap in the morning with her ....it does look like its broken
it's hanging down to her feet

Back
Top Bottom