First time Quail hatching!

So far I have 6 A&ms and one brown that have hatched. And it looks like there are still quite a few to go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    717 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 30
Yes, although the first one that hatched is a meanie. He keeps pecking at everyone and even grabbed the brown by the neck fluff! Hopefully it’s just a curiosity thing and not an aggression issue!

The ones that are ahead will sometimes grab at other birds, especially before they're totally dry. They'll also go for toes. They generally won't hurt each other.

At one week old, I add a sand box and start offering them greens. They need things to do so that they don't start feather picking etc. Also high protein.

The "don't think I'm dead" pose.:D

Looks to me like you'll need a bigger brooder pretty soon. I also like to raise the waterer up with a 1/2-inch-thick square of wood to make it more difficult for them to poop in it, and if you use a regular quart chick feeder with the access holes in the base they won't get into the food as much and kick it out/poop in it. Have fun!

I have one of those feeders, but it’s too big! It’s tall and the hole are big enough for them to climb into, although I’ll be using it once they get a bit bigger. And if I raised up the waterer I don’t think they’d be able to reach down to the water. I have to fill it up 2-3 times a day anyway, so it is cleaned often.

Back
Top Bottom