First Time Raising Chickens (Any Help Appreciated)

I guess I could turn the bottom roost into a poop board and construct another roost on top of it.

Took advantage of some beautiful weather in northern West Virginia to work on my chicken run. Added steel roofing and 1 inch chain link fencing. Think I will box in bottom of coop for chickens to cool off in summer.

Took advantage of some beautiful weather in northern West Virginia to work on my chicken run. Added steel roofing and 1 inch chain link fencing. Think I will box in bottom of coop for chickens to cool off in summer.

It looks good.

I just thought I would point out something. Animals can dig under your run. You might want to put some chicken wire or something around the run along the ground.

If you are locking your chickens in the coop at night there is less danger of an animal getting your chickens, but it still could happen during the day.

Did you build this all? because it is beautiful!!!
thumbsup.gif

Logan

You are the best prepared newbie ever!
thumbsup.gif
Far, far more prepared than I was. For friendly breeds I like Wyandotte and Delaware. My Wyandotte hen lets me walk up and pick her up anytime and the Delaware chick (3 months old now) walks right up to my feet despite never being handled. My Leghorn is a flightly wild thing that is scared of everything. My Easter Eggers and Welsummer run away despite having been handled a lot as chicks.

Welcome
welcome-byc.gif
, your coop looks nice. I have read Leghorns have the largest egg production. I have had good luck with Barred Rocks/Rhode Island Reds/Silver Laced Wyandottes hens. All breeds let me pick them up and follow me around the property like a little puppy!! Plus they are cold hardy breeds. I have always gotten an egg a day even now in the winter.

Also make sure there is a vent in the top of the coop for ventilation.

Good Luck!

I have some left over vinyl decking that I plan on boxing in the coop and also I will use that for securing the bottom of the run. Thank you for all of your compliments and suggestions.

I would like friendly birds with large egg production. Cant move the nest box so I probably will raise the roost. Should I put plastic under the gravel or sand to prevent weeds or will the chickens take care or the weeding? Good idea on a screen door thank you. Do you not think the windows are enough?

You do not need to put sand in the run. Chickens like to scratch in the grass and dirt to eat seeds, bugs, grass, and other things they can find.

Do you care what color eggs your hens lay?

Most of the friendly breeds lay brown eggs.

Which chicken breed is the best for you?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chickens-resource-for-selecting-your-chickens

Here are some breed suggestions.

• Australorp – excellent production of medium sized brown eggs, adaptable to confinement or free range, quiet, docile, easily handled. Good brooder, good mother, early maturing and very cold hardy. Developed in Australia from black orpingtons for egg laying .
  • Buckeye – medium producer of medium sized brown eggs, very cold hardy, can be broody, adaptable to confinement and a very good forager, calm and friendly.
  • Chantecler – good producer of large brown eggs and is a dual purpose bird that is extremely cold hardy. Bears confinement well but can be skittish around people.
  • Cochin – very popular as a show bird, medium producer of brown tinted eggs, excellent brooder, good mother and excellent foster mother, robust and cold hardy, adaptable to confinement or free range, peaceful, friendly and easily handled.
  • Jersey Giant – dual purpose (formerly meat),good producers of medium to large brown eggs, good brooder, protective mother, robust and cold hardy. Large birds that eat a lot, adaptable to confinement or free range, calm, gentle and easily handled.
  • Leghorn – layer, extremely heavy producer of medium to large white eggs, a non-setter that is hardy, heat tolerant (especially the white variety) that is early maturing. Enjoys free range although will adapt to confinement and is flighty, spritely and noisy.
  • Orpington – originally developed as an excellent meat bird, this dual purpose chicken is also a good producer of medium to large brown eggs, good brooder and excellent mother, hardy and early maturing, adaptable to free range, very adaptable to confinement, docile, affectionate, easily handled.
  • Plymouth Rock – dual purpose, good producer of large brown eggs, a good mother but broods infrequently, robust and cold hardy, well adaptable to confinement or free range, docile, friendly, easily handled. Once common on the homestead, still popular in the backyard. Developed in America and popularity spread very rapidly due to its qualities as an outstanding farm chicken.
  • Rhode Island Red – dual purpose, excellent, heavy producer of rich, large brown eggs, broods infrequently but can be a dutiful mother, robust, hardy in the heat and cold, adaptable to free range or confinement, active, calm and fairly docile but cocks can be aggressive. One of the best breeds for producing brown eggs.
  • Wyandottes – Coming in a variety of colors and patterns, these are a good bird for a small family flock in rugged conditions. Cold hardy and good mothers, they have a good disposition and their color patterns make them a good choice for fanciers as well as farmers. A dual purpose bird with brown eggs, robust and very cold hardy. Well adaptable to confinement or foraging they are calm, industrious and usually docile birds.
  • Java -- Hens lay a respectable amount of large, brown eggs and will go broody. Javas are particularly known as good foragers, needing less supplementary feed than many breeds when allowed to free range. Like many large breeds, they are known to be docile in temperament, and hardy in inclement weather. In general, Javas are particularly suitable for keepers of smaller flocks who require a good dual-purpose chicken.

Back
Top Bottom