First time raising chicks, lost one today

mtnsbeyondmtns

In the Brooder
May 14, 2021
First time posting here but have been reading so many threads for advice.
I got three babies at the end of April - a Plymouth Rock, a Calico Princess, and a Speckled Sussex.

Last week, little Sussex was lethargic and breathing heavily, and sneezing. I separated her, and scoured these forums. I ended up treating with tylan, dosed orally with a dropper and gave her electrolytes/probiotics inbetween doses. She started to perk up, and at the end of the dosing she was eating lots and drinking water on her own. Then she took a turn, stopped eating/drinking last night and back to lethargic and heaving breathing. I started another round of tylan, but no difference this morning. I mixed up some egg yolk with electrolytes/probiotics, and when I was giving her some this morning she aspirated it - it got all bubbly and she breathed it in. I’ll never do that again. I felt so horrible. I made the decision to euthanize her. My partner said he’d do it for me the next day, and I went to work. I’ve put plenty of animals out of their misery but I couldn’t do this. She was gone when I got home. I gave her a nice little burial under the peonies.

I’m just so.... heartbroken over this sweet little birb. Throughout the last week I would just go sit next to her brooder and say “Hi” and talk to her and she’d just chirp back. Her perking up and eating/drinking was such a relief. Sucks to lose them.

Any way - just wanted to share this little story. She was such a pretty baby and I’m very sad.

The other two little beebs are healthy, happy, and rambunctious so that will get me through.

I wish it got easier. But I guess, for me, if it did I wouldn’t feel like I did all I could. I’m a helper by nature. I have one now that was given to me because it has wry neck. It’s four days old and I got it at two days old. The previous owner didn’t know how to treat wry neck so she gave him to me. She was treating with nutridrench and thought he aspirated it. I thought he was going to die two days ago. But he’s holding on. He drinks really slow is the only thing I can see wrong besides the wry neck. And if he drinks too much he starts gasping. I’ve learned not to get my hopes up because when you that’s when they give up. 😞

@Smileybans aww good luck to your little one, I hope he keeps pulling through.
He died today. 😢 I was so sure with this one. He was doing so well. I just don’t know what happened. I feel more devestated with this baby than I did with the last one. But I think it’s because I was hand feeding this one and I just can’t see a reason. He was doing good when I was feeding him then all of a sudden he wasn’t.

He died today. 😢 I was so sure with this one. He was doing so well. I just don’t know what happened. I feel more devastated with this baby than I did with the last one. But I think it’s because I was hand feeding this one and I just can’t see a reason. He was doing good when I was feeding him then all of a sudden he wasn’t.
I'm sorry.

He died today. 😢 I was so sure with this one. He was doing so well. I just don’t know what happened. I feel more devestated with this baby than I did with the last one. But I think it’s because I was hand feeding this one and I just can’t see a reason. He was doing good when I was feeding him then all of a sudden he wasn’t.
Aww I’m so sorry. Solidarity to you in the sadness of losing such sweet little babies. He was loved and you also did the best you could. 😢

Back
Top Bottom