First time Scovie mom!and 21 babies! ****PICTURES POST 15 *****

thumbsup.gif
Soooo, question.... why aren't you letting mama Scovy raise more of the babies? Looking forward to pics!
wink.png

Cant keep them. I raise ducklings to sell as my job sort of. I dont have a drivers permit yet ( im such a procrastinator ) so my ducks are my job. I sell eggs, adults, and ducklings. I would have taken all the babies but I felt so bad for her. SHe did such a good job and I feel evil for taking her babies. She is also "wild". My scovies are too smart for their own good and all four of myhens have moved to the neighbors across the street's pond with a wild black drake. They are either at my house eating corn and foraging or else in the neigbors pond. They all come home numerous times throughout the day but they like the pond better. I can lock them up whenever I want, but I just feel like a crook taking away their freedom. So If I were to let her keep too many Id have to watch them fall to predators, possibly the scovie drake and other hens, or to the canada geese around here.

Gott'cha!
wink.png
The cocoa ducklings I'm picking up Sat. free range w/their mama out on a pond 6:30 a.m.everyday but come home and are locked up every night which is why jo plans to take them fm mama Scovy Fri. night/Sat. a.m. BEFORE they take off for the day Sat.

I mean dont get me wrong - I feel horrible for taking her babies after watching her protect them from me so, but I cant keep that many as well as this is the way it always goes. I guess I feel worse because it is a muscovy, rather than a normal domestic duck thatforgets her babies the next day.

Oh my gosh!!!! They are sooooo cute!!! We adopted a pair of mucovy's last fall, and our hen has been sitting for awhile now, we are estimating Monday as her due date. Unfortunately, we will have to sell the babies also. How long does momma keep them in the nest before they start going out?

Enjoy them while you have them!!!

Oh CONGRATS! Congrats!! What a good job she did!
big_smile.png
How exciting!!!! That's a really cool way to make extra money too. I know it's hard to take her babies, but just think about how happy you're making the people who get them.
smile.png

So let me ask you....... Do you keep Momma and the babies you're keeping separated at first? And how long? One of my muscovy is sitting her on her 2nd clutch ( I messed up the first one) And I wonder, if they hatch, will the drakes kill the babies?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom