First Time /Shipped Eggs/NR 360

Went out to visit the chicks today , well actually to check food and water while my daughter and family went to inlaws . They will be 8 weeks old tomorrow , she still has the EE cockerel . He is a pushy little bugger , he was even eyeballing me . He is starting to get the iridescent green sheen on his tail feathers . He has not started to crow yet but I'm sure he will soon . My son in law found a home for him when he starts crowing , his Uncle wants him . All the others pullets are doing fine , got some better pics of the Orpingtons .

eggs 36.jpg

eggs 37.jpg

eggs 38.jpg

eggs 39.jpg

Here are the EE Pullets

eggs 40.jpg

This one below is my daughters favorite

eggs 41.jpg

eggs 42.jpg

eggs 43.jpg

Just chilling on the porch

eggs 44.jpg

Here's the jumpy cockerel , he just wouldn't stand still for more than 3 seconds .

eggs 45.jpg

The EE's have some beautiful colors to them , my daughter is more than thrilled with what she ended up with .

The chickies are coming up on 10 weeks in a few days . They are all doing fine and getting big . The cockerel started crowing the other day , he will be leaving soon .

Time for an update . Haven't been on much lately , getting the Grand kids ready for and back to school has pretty much consumed all our time from late August on , just starting to get used to it all again .
The chicks are a few days past 17 weeks today , all are doing great , the Cockerel has been at his new home upstate for about 3 weeks now , my friend took him , he has about 45 hens and one old rooster and he was more than happy to get a young EE cockerel . He integrated very well into his new flock , no issues to speak of . My daughter was really happy especially since she can get text reports on him and pictures , and also we can get fertile eggs for future hatches .
The other 8 pullets are all fine and starting to get some color on their combs . I opened up their nesting boxes today so they get accustomed to them . Hopefully they will start laying in the next month or two . Here's some pics .

eggs 46.jpg

eggs 47.jpg

eggs 48.jpg

This one is named Phantom , its my daughter's favorite

eggs 49.jpg

Beautiful birds! And good to hear that the boy lives on and is happy in his new home, too. I'm impressed by how much Orpingtons vary in shape depending on where you get them. Mine are so round that they don't even have tails :lol:

Do you think you'll be hatching again next spring, with eggs from your daughter's rooster?

Beautiful birds! And good to hear that the boy lives on and is happy in his new home, too. I'm impressed by how much Orpingtons vary in shape depending on where you get them. Mine are so round that they don't even have tails :lol:

Do you think you'll be hatching again next spring, with eggs from your daughter's rooster?

Thanks . Yes , those EE pullets are pretty cool looking and the Buffs too . One of the Buffs is rounder than the others , I think they will all round out more . The EE's all have tufts and beards , and nice coloring/feather patterns .
We might do a small hatch in the spring with some fertilized eggs from the rooster , maybe just 6 or 8 .

Back
Top Bottom