First time trying to hatch eggs

KHoward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Boston
Since I have never tried to hatch eggs before, I'm not sure what the next steps are. I have three girls that have been breeding with a rooster until Sunday. Now, I have them at my coop (no rooster available) and they have laid 5 eggs. The man that I got them from gave me a dozen "fertile" eggs as well.

I put six fertile eggs in the nesting box to start them off, now there are 11 in one box but no one is sitting on them. How long should I leave the eggs there before I give up? Six days have passed now.

Assuming that no one goes broody, do I take all the eggs this coming weekend and throw them away since they have been in the 70-80 degree temps this week?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Kristen

I keep a couple of golf balls in our nest and I take the eggs daily. Our eggs go in a basket and stay on our counter so if one of our girls go broody we can just slip some eggs in with her. If we want to hatch some out in the incubator we can also take from the basket. We also keep track of our eggs so the ones that hit the 7 day mark go in a carton and into the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom