First time with broody hen and shipped eggs

HarvestChick

Chirping
Mar 9, 2018
Hi everyone!

My 1.5 year old red sexlink hen went broody for the first time! I waited a week before ordering hatching eggs from My Pet Chicken (3 Ameraucana eggs—they gave me an extra so 4 total). When I got the eggs, they were individually wrapped in bubble wrap in a box filled with crumpled newspapers for ‘padding’. They looked great. So I had them set pointy end down in a clean egg carton at room temp for 24 hrs (I had done research on shipped eggs and possible detached air cells). I had an incubator running for several days beforehand, and I put the eggs in that same egg carton (but cut out) in the incubator. No turning for a total of 3 days, and then I moved the eggs from the incubator to our broody hen (she gladly took them!). She’s been sitting on them for almost a week, and I’m so nervous!

Anyone with experience with shipped eggs? Especially with using a broody hen to hatch them? After doing a lot of reading and online research, the chances of hatching eggs hatching is not great (a gamble). A part of me thinks I should order chicks to arrive the week the eggs are supposed to hatch just in case none hatch. Would you do the same?

Thank you!

I've hatched a dozen (literally) shipped eggs, with mixed results. We have a range from 0%-100% success (again, literally!). It sounds like you have done things perfectly to set these eggs up for success, nice job!

If this were me, I would not personally order chicks to arrive at the same time. I've done one hatchery order in my life, and the minimum to ship plus shipping cost made it a little crazy. Plus, what if these 4 do hatch? Your poor hen will be trying to raise something like 10 chicks!

If the eggs don't work out, check somewhere like your state listing on here, or Craigslist, or MeWe perhaps. Folks may be able to help with more eggs or day old babies. You can always hit up the Tractor Supply chick days as well.

Tl;dr good job with the eggs! Hold off on ordering chicks IMO, and keep us posted!

I've hatched a dozen (literally) shipped eggs, with mixed results. We have a range from 0%-100% success (again, literally!). It sounds like you have done things perfectly to set these eggs up for success, nice job!

If this were me, I would not personally order chicks to arrive at the same time. I've done one hatchery order in my life, and the minimum to ship plus shipping cost made it a little crazy. Plus, what if these 4 do hatch? Your poor hen will be trying to raise something like 10 chicks!

If the eggs don't work out, check somewhere like your state listing on here, or Craigslist, or MeWe perhaps. Folks may be able to help with more eggs or day old babies. You can always hit up the Tractor Supply chick days as well.

Tl;dr good job with the eggs! Hold off on ordering chicks IMO, and keep us posted!

Thank you so much! I will wait to order chicks. You are right! I’m just excited to watch our hen raise babies

C3B01B17-5445-4036-B7BC-5683757938EC.jpeg
6F582134-2D8C-49A1-93B3-F6E373CAA1AE.jpeg
A20C258D-9641-4B29-86D6-B518CF0E09A1.jpeg
6EB8D098-1A2F-41E9-B838-D4872E052A26.jpeg
06F91974-3874-4917-8A9B-9F362B258A0F.jpeg

So I thought I’d update everyone! The 4 hatching eggs did not develop by day 11. One almost exploded and was rotten. Luckily my broody knew best and kicked that egg out of her nest. I went ahead and got our broody three chicks for her to adopt. Now she is a proud and happy momma hen! It’s so heartwarming to watch her raise these little babies

I did end up opening the shipped eggs that were under my broody, and they were definitely not developing. It was just all yellow inside. I don’t think I will ever order hatching eggs again.

Here are some pictures to brighten your day

Back
Top Bottom