First time with Cornish X

Good luck! Yay an extra one!
I want mine back out next week :/ they be 4 weeks then too.
Sorry for the lag in record but my computer decided to take a break with a faulty power cord. Never buy Asus! They are not what they used to be. So after stretching out the brooder time to 4 weeks there was a break in the cold and I figured what the heck. Lets see if they are going to live. They had reached capacity of the brooder anyway and I wanted them to have a better life than a foster farms chicken so I had to get them into the world. They seem happy enough but they weather is predicting 1 more night in the 20's so I hope I wont regret this. On a side note, it appears I made a miscount  at some point as I counted 34 and not the 33 I thought I had upon moving them to the tractor. They are a pain in the butt to count when they are moving so I will just have to wait and see what losses look like tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Half way point I guess.

I must say I was a bit worried but upon waking upnthis morning the chicks were up and moving around like no big deal after a 28F night! They seem much happier on grass and we seem to be on the right track. So time to start thinking about scalders and pluckers. I have used an ezplucker but am not sure I can part with that kjnd of cash right now. Suggestions? Drilll bit mounted? Scalder options? Thanks in advance.

I put mine out yesterday. Today it'll be 70 tonight just found out 35! Ug.

We made a drill plucker. Easy to do. But thinking we want an ezplucker...also can't dish out the dough. Might make one. Motor off a lawnmower...drum from a dryer. Fingers from the rubber bungies we used like the drill plucker...we don't know but we have 40ish now, 50 coming Jan. 3rd and will do a spring batch. That's a lot of drilling lol
Scalder we went and got a large turkey fryer. Was $80 bucks at Cabellas. We have another one already. We will be doing both at the same time. This was cheaper than a LARGE crawfish pot because we had a decently sized set already. So for $80 instead of $300 but we ha e to run 2 to keep up due to quantity of birds. One would ha e been fine for 25 batch.
I must say I was a bit worried but upon waking upnthis morning the chicks were up and moving around like no big deal after a 28F night! They seem much happier on grass and we seem to be on the right track. So time to start thinking about scalders and pluckers. I have used an ezplucker but am not sure I can part with that kjnd of cash right now. Suggestions? Drilll bit mounted? Scalder options? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I use to live in Houma years ago as a kid. Don't miss that weather one bit. I looked into making a plucker but I have so many other iron in the fire right now that it is just not going to happen. My chickens are doing great and we are swinging from 50's-60 down into the 20's so I think they are good for now. The thought of having to spend 3 minutes drilling a bird vs the 30-60 seconds with an ezplucker is the part thats killing me. I might just bite the bullet after this go round.,

Back
Top Bottom