First Time With Cornish X's

Just a little update. Still feeding fermented 18% chick starter, and the Cornish X are getting massive. I have two males weighing in at 4lbs 12oz each, the smallest female is just over 3lbs. They are 5 weeks and 1 day old. All 16 are still alive and doing great. The chicken tractor is working perfectly and they take very little work right now.

I have 56 Cornish X's in the pen under lights, they are growing quickly, I should be able to process around Memorial DayThe birds are really starting to eat now, I need to get their outside run ready.

I have 56 Cornish X's in the pen under lights, they are growing quickly, I should be able to process around Memorial DayThe birds are really starting to eat now, I need to get their outside run ready.

We started building the chicken tractor too late. By the time we got them out of the brooder and into it, they didn't have much space at all. They grow so quickly.

I'm getting kind of nervous about some of the males. My kitchen scales only go up to 5lbs, and they were past that line. Maybe to 5 1/4lbs. 5 weeks and 3 days old, and they were looking a bit unsteady when they were walking. I hoped that by using a lower percentage feed, and fermenting, that they would gain weight slower and not have any issues.

I guess I'm getting paranoid that they're going to start dropping dead soon. We've had no losses so far.

About all you can do is restrict feed. They are on track with the weight. Good luck

Than again. What's wrong with getting them huge and killing them early? A week early is a good thing with these birds. The longer they live and the more you move the tractor the more risk of injury and health issues.

Just noticed one with a leg problem yesterday. Nice little Cornish hen (roo) for dinner tomorrow.

Last edited:
About all you can do is restrict feed. They are on track with the weight. Good luck

Than again. What's wrong with getting them huge and killing them early? A week early is a good thing with these birds. The longer they live and the more you move the tractor the more risk of injury and health issues.

Just noticed one with a leg problem yesterday. Nice little Cornish hen (roo) for dinner tomorrow.

I was aiming at growing them out longer for fewer health problems. I have been restricting feed since they were a week old, feeding 3-4 times a day. I guess I was put off processing some early because they were still cheeping, and they still seemed like babies.

We saw Cornish Hens at the store today, it had to have been less than 2lbs! Tiny little thing, $3.99 a lb, lol.

Odds are better if you grow them big and fast. You can be certain they will have issues as they get older. So, get them to the desired weight quickly and take them to freezer camp!
Good luck

Hey DogChickenDad,
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you. Sounds like you have your hands full. By all means, get those babies out as soon as you can. Where are you. I'm in NW La. so very warm. And no, I don't have my coop predator proofed yet, so my 16 babies (3 wk) are still in the store house.
lau.gif

Pheeeeeew I'm genuinely getting nervous! I feel like I'm taking care of terminal chickens. One of them started acting weird after eating, open beak breathing and stretching his neck out, sneezing, stresses me out. I don't want any of them dropping dead at this point!

I just got my new pair of kitchen scales delivered via UPS, so I can get some weights. My old kitchen scales only went to 5lbs and most of them outweighed it last week.

Back
Top Bottom