first timer getting great results until now

the510flock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
Richmond, Ca
Greetings fellow chicken folk! In september of this year I bought 16 hatchlings,a cross breed of black langshan and iowa blue with birchen pattern. Of those 16 i kept the only 3 hens and my favorite rooster and theyve been doing very well,the girls just started laying last week!! Now heres where the problem arises:yesterday i adopted 4 older hens around 1 or 2 yrs i presume, a barred rock, arauncana, rhode island red, and a white leghorn. Apparently the previous owner says theyre not laying because its too cold rite now and that theyll start in the spring which doesnt make any sense since my little ones are laying regularly.
What could be the issue???
The leghorn seems to be molting but the others are active hardy and healthy. Could it be stress from moving the hens? (This is their 2nd rehoming this month)

Thanks for your thoughts and concerns!

Don't look at me I don't work here
tongue.gif

Alright and
welcome-byc.gif
it's great to have you join the flock
frow.gif

Do check out the extensive library it's free of charge
caf.gif

If you have a question just ask
lau.gif
as there are many helpful people out there just waiting to help you out
gig.gif

And some even have the ability and knowledge to solve problems
barnie.gif

Hay I am eating could you come back later
yesss.gif

No we are not ignoring ya,,,,, it's just not our turn yet
smack.gif

Enjoy yourself and have some fun
pop.gif

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
images
to BYC!

Yes, molting, the low light of winter, the cold and moving them will cause enough stress to stop them from laying. Give them time to adjust, finishing molting it they are and come spring you should be full up with eggs!

Enjoy BYC!

Welcome to BYC. Rehoming (twice), molting, older hens taking a break, shortened day length are all most likely factors. The day length has started to increase, they will complete their molt, they will begin to feel at home, and they will lay again.

Back
Top Bottom