First timer needs advice about catching a fox

joelster666

Hatching
Mar 18, 2015
Hello all, I'm a first timer and our 6 layers were killed by a Fox a few days ago. What is the best live trap to use to catch these buggers? Do u peeps have any DIY methods of trap building? Any knowledge, advice, or feedback would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm a first timer and our 6 layers were killed by a Fox a few days ago. What is the best live trap to use to catch these buggers? Do u peeps have any DIY methods of trap building? Any knowledge, advice, or feedback would be appreciated!

By live trap do you mean cage trap?....

It's gonna take a pretty good sized cage trap, a much better option is a leg hold trap. A lot of hardware stores sell traps a #1.5 is perfect for fox, if you have coyotes use a # 1.75 or #2.

Stake and set the trap where the fox entered the coop, check out trap bedding on you tube. That's prolly the quickest way to catch your fox. You can also set the trap by the dead chickens assuming you have any left. You can use a box trap this way as well, but you need to force the fox into it. It needs to be staked down so it doesn't move at all and the fox only has access to the front of the trap, again if it dug in your in business. I use little giant cage traps, they work great but are not cheap.

If you called me to catch that fox I'd use a leg hold and chickens as bait

Back
Top Bottom