First timer - Please advise

Greeneyedgirll

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2024
Hello
I am hatching eggs for the first time and it’s day 14 of incubation. I have noticed that one of the eggs has stopped growing… what should I do? Should I wait a couple more days or take it out or is there any other way to check if I am right?
Thank in advance for your advice and help

Attachments

• 80EBF629-D05A-4C21-B268-60E940308666.jpeg
    80EBF629-D05A-4C21-B268-60E940308666.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 18
Hello
I am hatching eggs for the first time and it’s day 14 of incubation. I have noticed that one of the eggs has stopped growing… what should I do? Should I wait a couple more days or take it out or is there any other way to check if I am right?
Thank in advance for your advice and help
If you've candled them and are sure one stopped, it might have a blood ring or you'll see its air sack looks different from the rest. Those I take out.

If you really aren't sure, I mark those and put them back. Then the day I'm doing lockdown, I candle again and then toss it as now it's surely one way or the other.

I'd carry on and not worry about it. The only risk is that bacteria could get inside the egg and multiply, causing a rotten egg. An egg not developing is not in any greater risk of that than an egg with an embryo developing in it. If the embryo was alive it would kill the embryo. I do not consider that egg at any greater risk than any other egg.

The way I do mine is that I candle at Day 7, just for curiosity. I mark with a black marker if I think the chick is developing and a red marker if I think it is not. I'm usually right but not always. Then on Day 18 I candle again. I remove any egg that obviously hasn't developed and leave the rest. The reason I remove them is that it is easier to monitor hatch with fewer eggs to watch. Others do it differently but I don't see any great benefit to taking eggs out earlier.

Good luck with the hatch, let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom