first timer really needs help!!

amberroswell

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
north muskegon
I have two hens they are sisters, they have always shared a nesting box they take turns laying eggs, well 17 days ago one of the hens went broody and we soon realized that she was still allowing her sister to lay her eggs there needless to say we have a mountain of eggs going 13 to be exact some of the eggs are due to be hatching soon and i was told she would only wait a few days for the other eggs to hatch and then not waste her time on the rest of the eggs, well i don't want them to go to waste, if she leaves the rest of them how do i hatch them with out an incubator? they will only need a few days and will be ready to hatch any suggestions would be great i am a first timer with the whole chicken thing!

I would try taking the chicks away as they hatch so that she will focus on the eggs. My BOs sit on the nest up to three days after the chicks are hatched so if you remove the chicks you may have a chance.

Another option would be to build an incubator. If she leaves the nest after the first few hatch, put the eggs in the bator and then put them back with mama after they hatch. There's tons of info / threads about building them on BYC or if you need any help, feel free to e-mail me.

Back
Top Bottom