First Timer (Turning ?)

dawink

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2017
Ok so put my eggs in at 8pm Feb 28th, I put 30 eggs in and it seems 3 were infertile, have been turning them twice every day except the last two days they havnt been changed at all. Went to turn them today and noticed they have attached to the side of the shell and no longer move with the turn, is this normal and should I continue to turn them or just leave them sit.

I have fantasized with the idea of no turn. After watching this I wonder

Still my main ? is here is about the embryo attaching the side and how it affects it if you turn 180 so the attached embryo is now at the 6oclock position.

Ok so put my eggs in at 8pm Feb 28th, I put 30 eggs in and it seems 3 were infertile, have been turning them twice every day except the last two days they havnt been changed at all. Went to turn them today and noticed they have attached to the side of the shell and no longer move with the turn, is this normal and should I continue to turn them or just leave them sit.

I have fantasized with the idea of no turn. After watching this I wonder

Still my main ? is here is about the embryo attaching the side and how it affects it if you turn 180 so the attached embryo is now at the 6oclock position.

You saying your eggs have only been in for a week? Why would you not want to turn them?? I have not watched the video yet. I know some candle a lot. I never candle until day 12, but I have no desire to watch the growth inside plus I just do not want to handle them any more than needed---personal thing, plus I hatch 1000's and 1000's of eggs per year---so I do not have the time to candle ever day---but again no desire either. So I never know if the embryo is stuck or not---so I can not help you with that. Some years back I did put eggs in the turner in the incubator----on day 18 I went to up-plug the turner and take it out----it was not plugged in---so no turning at all. 7 of the 20 some eggs still hatched---which was a lower hatch rate that normal. Just for Info----out of the 1000's I hatch---all turn for 18 days and my hatch rate for all fertile eggs that go into lock down is near 100% every hatch, which can be 200 to 300 per week at the peak. So I am turning mine---LOL.

Last edited:
It's never been a question that eggs need to be turned for proper development of the chick and CAM. I turn 3 times a day up to day 14 before letting them rest. I'm against animal testing, so using lives we help create to test unnecessary and potentially jeopardizing philosophies are not high up on my list. There have been enough clinical testing and people that have mistakingly had eggs not be turned to verify the effects and reduction of hatch rates. One of the reasons we turn is so the developing chick does not become adhered to the shell where proper growth and development is hindered.

It's never been a question that eggs need to be turned for proper development of the chick and CAM. I turn 3 times a day up to day 14 before letting them rest. I'm against animal testing, so using lives we help create to test unnecessary and potentially jeopardizing philosophies are not high up on my list. There have been enough clinical testing and people that have mistakingly had eggs not be turned to verify the effects and reduction of hatch rates. One of the reasons we turn is so the developing chick does not become adhered to the shell where proper growth and development is hindered.

I'm doing this with my daughter as a learning experience of raising from egg to full grown so we candle a lot just to experience it all.

Now you say to turn so they don't attach, but if it's become attached would turning at this point be detrimental?

I'm doing this with my daughter as a learning experience of raising from egg to full grown so we candle a lot just to experience it all.

Now you say to turn so they don't attach, but if it's become attached would turning at this point be detrimental?

I totally get candling. I am a candling addict. I candle daily, even through hatch. There is no reason not to experience the joy of seeing development and I think it's detrimental to learning everything you can. As long as it's done responsibly, clean hands, gentle.

As for turning, I would propose instead of turning the full 180, to turn 90 and get a couple extra turns in. I say this because if it's truly adhered to the shell, I would surmise a less dramatic turn would be more beneficial in possibly separating the membrane from the shell. I'd be worried a full 180 rotation would put more tear force on it. Of course I could be overthinking it, but I'd be more likely to bear on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom