First timer with lighting question with 3-5 week old chicks

sodinedia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
We have three chicks at 3 weeks, 4 weeks, and 5 weeks (Orpington, Americauna, Barred Rock, respectively) in our garage with a heat source that emits no light so we put in a 8 watt light with reflector, over their brooder that we have been keeping on all night. Should we turn the light off at night? I have read that keeping a light on reduces pecking and allows them to find food and water, but also that it might cause them to start laying before their bodies are ready, which could lead to prolapses. There is a small window on the other side, so they would get some natural morning light and natural dusk light as well. There are all healthy and seemingly happy and they do quiet down and sit together at night.

Sounds like you have read some, um, odd information. I think most here would agree that it's the opposite, that light encourages pecking. First, unless it is winter where you are, you could probably turn the heat off now. Unless they are really cuddling up close to it, I would give it a try. Chickens raised outdoors become accustomed to outdoor temps much more quickly.

The only reason to add light for the chickens is to encourage winter laying, which is only done during winter months, to laying hens. This is a somewhat controverisal practice. Commercials do it, of course, and many people who need the eggs use lights, but some people feel it is healthier for them to have some rest and naturally longer nights during the winter. I've done it both ways' personal choice. Either way, the chicken is born with a set number of eggs for her lifetime; the only thing that can change is how the laying is distributed.

They need natural light to be comfortable in their coop, but they do best sleeping in the dark and having the coop go dark naturally, as the sun sets.

Adult chickens do not ordinarily eat or drink at night. I've forgotten when chicks make this transition, but it's probably when lights are turned off. Actually, broody raised chicks sleeping under their mama don't eat or drink at night from day one, so probably chicks eating at night is just a result of using heat to keep them warm.

Back
Top Bottom