First timer with lots of questions

I just figured I'd mention it, because people are somewhat divided on hatching pullet eggs. I didn't have any choice, as I was specifically hoping to get fertilization remainders from my foxed roo. Other than a bit of worry with baby #1's zip, it was totally textbook, as this thread will show.
We all have to do what is best for our personal situation.
While a general rule is that pullet eggs shouldn't be incubated till approaching full size and young roosters should be given a time so their swimmers can be more reliable.
I had mink attacks several years ago where every bird in every building, but one was killed over the course of a week. I hatched every egg I could get including from pullets and I even cut eggs out of some dead hens.
The end result was that the birds that hatched from small pullet eggs, when mature, never laid eggs as large as the standard for the breed.

The end result was that the birds that hatched from small pullet eggs, when mature, never laid eggs as large as the standard for the breed.
Oh, that is very interesting. Well, one of these moms only ever laid small eggs to begin with, so I guess her babies will be giving me quail eggs :p

The eggs were full sized eggs though for both of them. Just young moms. Hopefully we'll avoid that fate!

It was disappointing to start getting 50 gram eggs regularly rather than the 70 gram eggs they should be.

The other problem with hatching from small pullet eggs is that they contain all the nutrition and space the embryo will ever have. Unlike live bearers like mammals and some fish, embryos can continually pull the nutrients they need from the mother as well as expand the abdomen to accommodate a growing embryo.
Perhaps the limited space and nutrients contributed to the egg size laid by those hatched from small eggs.

Last edited:
I'll followup in a year and let you know how it went. Assuming I keep any that is. I may not. They weren't the ones I wanted, and I have new hatchery stock arriving in May.

I have one runty Buff Orp that has never produced any larger egg than her pullet egg. Now I'm wondering if she was a pullet egg baby.

Last edited:
That is NOT a long time to zip. Be patient. Chickens have been domesticated for so long that their need for us to help them hatch is a rarity.

1.5 hours is NOT a long time to zip. Chickens have been domesticated for a loooong time. Their need for us to help them hatch is a rarity. You have done a great job !! They will be excited to meet you.

@samrae - Not sure why you're responding in present tense to a 1.5 week old past-tense event. They all hatched just fine as you can see below :)

1645283476420.png

My view is, help it. Mum normally will help, but if the eggs are in an incubator there's nobody to help except us. I have born so many chickens with the help of tiny nail scissors that just make a hole in the membrane which has dried once exposed to the air. Think of humans. Many die in childbirth without intervention.

Back
Top Bottom