First timer with lots of questions

You know, this might sound strange, but these babies seem much happier, calmer, and more content than hatchery chicks. There haven't been any distress calls once they got out of the incubator. (Little #6 was pissed since everyone else had gone to the brooder before it made it's run: "I was promised there would be friends out here!!!") They're trilling, which none of my hatchery babies have ever done. They peep, very quietly to each other, all day long. IDK. Has anyone else ever noticed any difference between hatchery and hatched babies? They literally just sound like songbirds.

Last edited:
You know, this might sound strange, but these babies seem much happier, calmer, and more content than hatchery chicks. There hasn't been any distress calls once they got out of the incubator. (Little #6 was pissed since everyone else had gone to the brooder before it made it's run: "I was promised there would be friends out here!!!") They're trilling, which none of my hatchery babies have ever done. They peep, very quietly to each other, all day long. IDK. Has anyone else ever noticed any difference between hatchery and hatched babies? They literally just sound like songbirds.
That’s an interesting observation. I have only raised hatchery chicks before, this is my first incubated batch. I look forward to seeing what others have noticed. I imagine that being shipped would be fairly terrifying, and that it would take quite a while to feel safe and stable again. I know all my shipped chicks have been quick to panic for the first few months, no matter how patiently we handle them.

You know, this might sound strange, but these babies seem much happier, calmer, and more content than hatchery chicks. There hasn't been any distress calls once they got out of the incubator. (Little #6 was pissed since everyone else had gone to the brooder before it made it's run: "I was promised there would be friends out here!!!") They're trilling, which none of my hatchery babies have ever done. They peep, very quietly to each other, all day long. IDK. Has anyone else ever noticed any difference between hatchery and hatched babies? They literally just sound like songbirds.
This! I can't really say one way or another but I hatched my first ever birds(decided to take the most complicated route for my first chickens 😂) and are a week today, I personally expected all the ruckus you hear at feed stores. Not even close, I mistake their noise for the birds outside occasionally. I've found myself to enjoy their little sounds. Congrats on the new babies!

My last batch of hatchery chicks were pretty calm. Every evening we took them out of heir plastic bins and put them in a temporary cardboard holding box while we cleaned the bins. But first we swapped out the white daytime heat lamp for a red night time lamp and gave them a few minutes to calm down. This was in an otherwise darkened room. Changed the bin, put fresh puppy pads down, fresh water and feed, then returned them to the bin. Minimal stress and drama and they settled right down, cheeping and churring contentedly.

The bins have modified lids. We had cut out most of the plastic and replaced it with a soft, floppy mesh they can't fly or jump out of, taping it in place with sturdy duct tape. This prevents overheating and provides excellent ventilation. We've found that each bin can comfortably hold about 8 chicks for about 3 weeks, after which they go into an outside brooder.

Im glad everything is working out! :D

My last batch of hatchery chicks were pretty calm. Every evening we took them out of heir plastic bins and put them in a temporary cardboard holding box while we cleaned the bins. But first we swapped out the white daytime heat lamp for a red night time lamp and gave them a few minutes to calm down. This was in an otherwise darkened room. Changed the bin, put fresh puppy pads down, fresh water and feed, then returned them to the bin. Minimal stress and drama and they settled right down, cheeping and churring contentedly.

The bins have modified lids. We had cut out most of the plastic and replaced it with a soft, floppy mesh they can't fly or jump out of, taping it in place with sturdy duct tape. This prevents overheating and provides excellent ventilation. We've found that each bin can comfortably hold about 8 chicks for about 3 weeks, after which they go into an outside brooder.
Your setup sounds similar to mine. I made a separate tub to separate a chick and it's now where they go when I clean the big one. This is their large one, the smaller is about 1/3 of this, lid converted the same way. I used hardware cloth, and zip ties.

Attachments

• 20220210_093114.jpg
    20220210_093114.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 4
Your setup sounds similar to mine. I made a separate tub to separate a chick and it's now where they go when I clean the big one. This is their large one, the smaller is about 1/3 of this, lid converted the same way. I used hardware cloth, and zip ties.
Yes, very similar! Thanks for posting your pic, not sure I could find mine now!

Back
Top Bottom