First timer

Regarding picking the chicks up and stressing them out, it all depends on how the kids are handling them.

If the kids are diving in abruptly from above the chicks, scattering them to the four corners of the brooder in distress, then yes, it's stressful for the chicks.

However, if the kids are instructed to approach the chicks slowly from the side on level with the chicks so the chicks aren't reacting as if a predator is attacking, then it's actually good for the chicks, and the chicks will enjoy the interaction.

Regarding when to move the chicks to the coop, that can be done any time. In fact, many of us have done away with indoor brooding all together, brooding in a safe pen right in the coop or run in proximity to adult chickens. If it's very cold where you live, it would be good to slowing decrease the ambient temperature in the room where you have the chicks so they can acclimatize to cooler temps before moving outdoors.

There are so many advantages to outdoor brooding, you may want to consider it for future chick brooding. But go ahead and move the chicks out any time. It will be even easier for the kids to interact with the chicks on their level.

See my articles linked below this post. There's one on outdoor brooding and how it works.

There are so many ways to raise chicks and manage your flock that no book will be absolutely complete. That being said, I think The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow is a good one to have in the home library.

I got my chicks at 2 weeks and I didn't touch them unless I had to for the first 3-5 days just because they were stressed out from the move but after that I just got them used to my hand, luckily they were tame enough to eat out of my hand, but some of them still don't like being picked up. I think at 2 weeks if they arent stressed you can start to try and handle them. Ive read some people will hold them right away in attempts to train them but im not sure whats best in that regard; slow and steady or sudden and intense handling.. unless they are flapping the whole time being held i dont think they will be too stressed. Probaby with kids taking it slow is best but you can be the judge of that ;]

Since I have a small indoor booder, I also have been taking them out (i try to do this in slow, scooping, calm manner but the leghorn just wont have it) and put them out in a barricaded (boxes, the brooder lid, pannels of wood) makeshift pen and sit with them in a warm room (next to the brooder). I do this so they can play without being stressed from handling, they play with my hands, i try to touch their belly/front area, and i put their food and water out too. I think Its rather a good way to socialize them and when you do the outdoor brooding its probably a lot easier. I did this for about an hour and a half last night and the leghorn was even crawling up my knee. When i put them back in they immediately sat down, groomed, and took a nap, i think i wore them out ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom