First timer

Pekin747

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
Ireland
I'm trying to learn as much about caged birds as I can before buying cause where I live they aren't cheap and I want the little guy to have a extremely good life
(Some questions might seem stupid but I'm total new to this area but really excited to learn bout these wee birds)

I want to get a friendly bird that will prob live in my room in a cage when I'm not home and he/she will be out when tame when I can supervise
*Is there any certain things that they need
other than food and water and perches?

*I would like to get just 1 bird any breeds that would be more suitable for a 1st timer and can u keep them just on their own with no company of other birds?

*would it be better to have a Male or a female or is there any difference in friendly nice?

*is there anything I need to look out for when I buy a bird like colour or noices or anything like that

*do they need regular vet check ups

And any other info that use can share would be very appreciated
I know I could go on Google a d find this info on there but some kf the stuff is very confusing and I prefer to get it of this website rather than wiki etc etc

Hi there. :frow

The other day I watched a program on Parrots. They lived up to 80 years and are very social creatures... Maybe doing okay during their first 4 years or so until reaching sexual maturity and NEEDING to find a mate. Sometimes their mating behavior gets directed at their owner and other family members become targets for biting and such.

Being birds that are made to communicate across a jungle they are also very vocal and very loud...

Most animals will do best with regular vet checks... and mine has bean a wealth of knowledge and invaluable resource. :thumbsup

Honestly, I don't know of any bird that will be happy alone long term. If not able to get two or identify a loner type species, I would NOT suggest a bird alone caged in a room. :confused:

In addition, here in the US we have have a ton of rescues due to people not being able to keep these birds popularized in movies... Consider adopting instead of buying from a breeder or pet shop. Good luck! :fl

Hi there. :frow

The other day I watched a program on Parrots. They lived up to 80 years and are very social creatures... Maybe doing okay during their first 4 years or so until reaching sexual maturity and NEEDING to find a mate. Sometimes their mating behavior gets directed at their owner and other family members become targets for biting and such.

Being birds that are made to communicate across a jungle they are also very vocal and very loud...

Most animals will do best with regular vet checks... and mine has bean a wealth of knowledge and invaluable resource. :thumbsup

Honestly, I don't know of any bird that will be happy alone long term. If not able to get two or identify a loner type species, I would NOT suggest a bird alone caged in a room. :confused:

In addition, here in the US we have have a ton of rescues due to people not being able to keep these birds popularized in movies... Consider adopting instead of buying from a breeder or pet shop. Good luck! :fl
I would rather adopt but I dont think where i live has any pet rescue for birds unfortunately :hit
I dont want to get a big bird like parrots as it doesnt suit me cause I'd rather look at them than own one personally
The bird wouldnt be caged all the time just when I'm not in my house incase someone came in and say left a window open and the door was left just slightly open a d he would get away
I was told budgies would can be on their own for a while but they stil need a good bit of attention which I can do

Back
Top Bottom